Exchange Dynamic Cutterhead Vinylrecorder Souri

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Tremdall

Exchange Dynamic Cutterhead Vinylrecorder Souri

Mon May 08, 2017 5:43 am

Hi,

I'm new at this forum.

I have the following question;
Within a few months I'm seeing Souri to have a cutting workshop.
Adittionally I'll buy a vinylrecorder plus some extra's.
Thinking about exchanging the Dynamic Cutterhead
for a Feedback Cutterhead straight away.
This Feedback Cutterhead comes inclusive with a 19" Feedbackamp.

Now sorry for my newbe question; but does that mean this Feedback amp replaces the normal amp?
On Souri's website it says 320 € for the normal amp and 490 € for the feedback Cutterhead inclusive Feedbackamp.

Asking so I can get the finances together.

Thanks for your help
Once the gargoyle had withdrawn and unlatched his suckers from the topside of Tremdall's agonizing torso, a profound slumber would overtake him, as though from the labor of many days.

SueDenim

Re: Exchange Dynamic Cutterhead Vinylrecorder Souri

Mon May 08, 2017 10:03 am

No you still need the 'normal amp' as this is the Power Amp which drives the cutting head's main coils.
The 'feedback amp' is really just a pre-amp which mixes the cutting head's feedback coils back into the main signal path.

So, in summary, you need both.

Tremdall

Mon May 08, 2017 12:36 pm

Much Thanks
Once the gargoyle had withdrawn and unlatched his suckers from the topside of Tremdall's agonizing torso, a profound slumber would overtake him, as though from the labor of many days.

TheCrates

Mon May 08, 2017 1:06 pm

Dont worry, he probably wont sell you the feedback straight away, in case he does, he has changed his business strategy. :D

And if you can do ma a favour, have a look whats this Phase Corrleation Meter is about, cannot find anything in this price range at internet.

PS: Dump this standard vakkum cleaner of his basic setup, save some dough and get the Rietschle VT vaccum pump, this thing is "da shiat" ;)

SueDenim

Mon May 08, 2017 1:52 pm

Do you know the exact model of that Rietschle VLT vacuum pump?
Would really like to know! ;)

Thanks.

TheCrates

Mon May 08, 2017 3:36 pm

Of course:

http://www.gd-elmorietschle.com/uploadedfiles/elmo-rietschle/downloads/content_v/vte_dte/d187(1).pdf

There are 230V and three-phase, so have a closer look!

I have the VTE3 working like a charm. You'll find them often second hand. If if possible try to get a VT6, 8, 10. You probably can throttle them down with a "electric speed regulator" and make it extra silent.

Tremdall

Tue May 09, 2017 4:03 pm

Sounds great...

Tremdall

Tue May 09, 2017 4:10 pm

TheCrates wrote:And if you can do ma a favour, have a look whats this Phase Corrleation Meter is about, cannot find anything in this price range at internet.
Yes... thinking of buying the level meter, phase correl meter and power amp. Will look at the vaccuum pump... The precision plate and motor also seem very useful.

TheCrates

Tue May 09, 2017 5:12 pm

Nice, so get some infos and pics. ;)

For the precision plate and motor.. I had the chance too, but bought Technics SP-10s instead after seeing them used at the old cutting pros setups. I have to admit, they were right. :)

Pro: You have a standalone high end turntable for listening vinyl, in case if you sell the VR someday. (Mine allready rised in value too.. winwin. :D)

I guess you dont need much schischi for the VR, just read a lot in lathetrolls forum, be good in operating the machine, set it up perfect and you are ready to do some real great cuts.

Good luck and lots of fun at Souris place, share your experience. :)

David34

Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:33 am

Buy the precision plate if you are planning on cutting for a business. It makes a lot of difference.

And only buy 2mm discs (12") - the 1.5mm ones warp all too easy..

That's my 2 cents!