My new Hara lathe - Help with noise + pics!

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

antonn

My new Hara lathe - Help with noise + pics!

Mon May 22, 2017 5:27 pm

Hi everybody,
A Couple of days ago I came back from Japan with my new Hara M-180 lathe! (7"). My model comes with a build in tonearm which is prob rarer than the regular smaller model. All very exciting!

I spent the night cutting some tests and encountered an issue, hope you guys can advise me!

I am cutting Suri PVC blanks using Turtle wax, Heat to 100 deg f, a 100W step up adaptor to 220 on 50 HZ. All by the book via what I read here.

I started with the old stylus which came with the lathe. When playing it back, the cut sounded great and clean in the beginning, after about 30 seconds I began to hear an increasing noise/hiss, which then stays on other cuts.

I replaced the stylus to the Russian stylus I bought from ebay (will splash on a Myshank stylus after I get some experience), this time without the heat cord, and same thing, first 20-30 secs are good, then comes the noise which stays.

I thought maybe I was putting too much pressure on the stylus and quickly damaging it, so I lifted the arm pressure a little and it sounded horrible so put it back to its previous position - but the hiss/noise is back.

Any thoughts as to why this happens? Again, the first few seconds on both styluses sounded nice and clean and only then the noise/hiss comes.

Am I a serial stylus destroyer? What can I do to prevent this? The Hara adjustments are minimal, only groove space and height (hight adj is very fiddely and un accurate, its just a screw in the back of the cutter head's base which is more for releasing it from its base. It's almost like yr not supposed to adjust it.

Any thoughts/help appreciated!
Thank you!

Anton

Cutter head close up + Russian Stylus

Old stylus +heating cord

markrob

Re: My new Hara lathe - Help with noise + pics!

Mon May 22, 2017 5:36 pm

Hi,

Start with lacquer blanks using a lower cost ruby stylus before you spring for a diamond on plastic.

Mark

antonn

Mon May 22, 2017 5:49 pm

Hey Mark
The Russian ebay stylus is very affordable, plus this is what I have right now... Like I said, first 30 seconds sound good, I feel something I'm doing is bringing in the hiss or just very quickly degrading the styluses.
:roll:

markrob

Mon May 22, 2017 6:53 pm

Hi,

Are you cutting or embossing? If cutting, you won't get much life from a ruby.

Mark

antonn

Mon May 22, 2017 7:13 pm

cutting. what I currently have is a ruby? is that not good for pvc?

toucyy

Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:11 am

Hi
i have similar lathe (Hara Disk recorder) then i could cut myshank PVC well.
i guess the problem is no heating wire. you need it to cut the PVC.
or use PC for embossing.

Yamada

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk