I met another troll at oreillys auto parts while getting new

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Gridlock

I met another troll at oreillys auto parts while getting new

Tue May 23, 2017 10:07 am

I walked into oreillys auto parts the other day to get some transmission fluid and decided to get some disc wax. Out of 5 employees on duty I just asked this one dude if there was a better, classier wax than turtle. He said well what are you using it for? I said well buddy I cut records. And I swear to god this dudes jaw hit the floor. He said he used to cut records in some poopstain of a town in Wyoming and that I was the coolest dude he ever met. Being the humble guy I am, I poked and prodded this guy for like 15 min til we realized he worked on a VMS 80 and its been mothballed in the desert about 25 years in some bumfuck shithole. Pardon my language but Wyoming suuuuuuucks. So we're gonna try to get it out of scrap and the dude sold me the most bad ass wax that he used to use on laxuers.its called Nu -Finish soft paste and it kicks ass and comes in a tin like Murray's hair pomade. Rock!
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

piaptk

Re: I met another troll at oreillys auto parts while getting

Tue May 23, 2017 11:16 am

I wonder if he worked for the pressing plant that is now Palomino in KY. They bought all their stuff from Wyoming years ago.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Aussie0zborn

Fri May 26, 2017 9:50 am

That would be an awesome find. Go for it and report back. And don't forget the photos. Good luck.

tragwag

Mon May 29, 2017 10:20 am

what good luck! that's great
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com