Cant Get rid of squeaks on cuts, im using a VR, Help!!!

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

status66uk

Cant Get rid of squeaks on cuts, im using a VR, Help!!!

Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:24 am

Hi

Ive had my VR for 3 months now and still havent been able to get a cut im happy with, Ive sorted all other problems but i cant seem to get rid of slight squeaking in quiet or silent parts, Ive tried adjusting the cutting angle several times and also adjusting the distance of the vaccum pipe from the stylusbut none of this seems to work, The cuts themselves sound good its just abit noisy between tracks and the squeaking.

I must mention that i havent got stylus heat at the minute as the heating coil came off from round the stylus, Could this be the reason for the squeaks?, Im in two minds whether to buy a new stylus as a last throw of the dice, As it might still get squeaks, I cant really afford the keep throwing money at it if im not getting any decent cuts, Im thinking of selling the gear if i dont find a solution, which is a shame as i know how good it is when everything is right, I just havent really got the knowledge or technical ability to sort it!

any help or guidance would be appreciated

thank you in advance

Ben

Re: Cant Get rid of squeaks on cuts, im using a VR, Help!!!

Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:25 am

Can you upload a wav of your unmodulated groove for us to hear your problem.

Cheers
Ben

status66uk

Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:48 pm

squeaks.mp3
here is a sample cut, theres quite a bit of rumbling noise but im not too bothered about that its the squeaks that are bothering me! Suedenim thinks its deffo the lack of stylus heat, what do all you other experts think? Ive bit the bullet and ordered a new stylus anyway!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ben

Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:41 pm

Stylus heating it's possible..... how far is your suction tube?.

Why are you not using stylus heating?

status66uk

Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:35 am

The heating wire came away from the stylus and i dont know how to reattach! The suction tube is positioned 2 mm from the stylus and the blank,
Can you hear the squeaks? Do u think its the no stylus heat thing or something else?

Ben

Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:54 am

When the diamond is not perfectly aligned it also can create weird noises, happened to me.
Also if you're cutting too deep.... What's weird in your audio is that the rumble is more on the left and the squeak on the right.

Check carefuly if your stylus is aligned and try to heat your blanks more And play with cutterhead Weight.... It happened to me before... Me it was problem with suction and stylus angle

I strongly suggest you go on myshank website and in the Faq theres a section where its well explained to setup the vr

status66uk

Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:09 am

Thanks for your help mate, Ill try another cut when the new stylus arrives, As for weight, I weigh the backweight about 45g and as for the weight of the head i can only get a cut without wow when that is about 10g! But im using a horrible springscale i got with the set up and im starting to doubt the accuracy of it lol,

ive been heating the blanks up to late 30s degrees, but different parts of the blank say different temps, do i measure the part closest to where the head is when starting the cut?

Tremdall

Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:57 pm

status66uk wrote:Thanks for your help mate, Ill try another cut when the new stylus arrives, As for weight, I weigh the backweight about 45g and as for the weight of the head i can only get a cut without wow when that is about 10g! But im using a horrible springscale i got with the set up and im starting to doubt the accuracy of it lol,

ive been heating the blanks up to late 30s degrees, but different parts of the blank say different temps, do i measure the part closest to where the head is when starting the cut?
You always measure at the beginning of the record.
The right temp is between 40-50 degrees celcius. 43 is good.
Once the gargoyle had withdrawn and unlatched his suckers from the topside of Tremdall's agonizing torso, a profound slumber would overtake him, as though from the labor of many days.

PMST

Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:11 am

What did you do to fix the steaks in the end? Its a thing I get now and again but only rarely and can not seem to find what it is, its only rarely but if you have advice that would be great!

okpanda

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:41 pm

i was having this problem recently and narrowed it down to my lead screw. if you put your ear close to the overhead, you might be able to hear it squeaking as it rotates. the sound went away for me once i removed the overhead, cleaned off the screw with q-tips, squirted some oil around the carriage, and wound it back and forth a few times to smear the oil around.

okpanda

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:42 pm

there might be a better way to do it, idk.

literal_screw

Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:20 pm

Hello okpanda,

How did you remove the overhead on the lead screw? I can't seem to locate where it comes off.
Can you describe the process? Thanks!