Rietschle VTE-8 Vacuum Pump

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

handcut

Rietschle VTE-8 Vacuum Pump

Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:21 am

In the interests of preserving my sanity, hearing and will to live, I've just bought a beast of a vacuum pump (-850mbar, 133l/min continuous at 55dBA):

https://www.gd-thomas.com/en/products/compressors-and-vacuum-pumps/rotary-vane-pumps-compressors/picolino-vte-series/vte-8-230-50-60-230.html

I'm wondering if any fellow trolls can offer any tips on hooking such a thing up to the VR swarf jar? The pump hasn't actually arrived yet, so I'll post some photos when it does. Just thought I'd get the ball rolling. The pump has been pulled from a machine and doesn't come with any tubing or anything, so any advice at all would be amazing.

Cheers.

KNOP

Re: Rietschle VTE-8

Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:04 am

Hey ,

I've bought the same pump on ebay but I have not received it yet. I'm planning to use it with a 3 phase motor controller to make it extra quiet.
I don't think it will be hard to hook it up. The datasheet suggests an 10 to 12mm inner diameter tubing to connect to the pump. If you have a 3 phase version you need to check the motor direction for a few seconds, as rotating the pump in the wrong direction can damage the vanes.

handcut

Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:02 am

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking of using a large bung with a hole in the middle, inserting the bung in opening where the vac pipe currently sits and then fitting the vacuum hose to the hole in the bung. As long as everything is tight fitting, I think it will work.

Thelurker

Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:09 pm

I've seen someone snap the lid off a souri chip jar with one of these. Very powerful but suprisingly quiet!

Basically you have to make sure you use professional connections throughout otherwise things will either break or you'll get leakage.

TheCrates

Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:25 am

Its simply the best solution.... You can modify aquarium pumps, thats silent too but you need some technical skills.

No accusation, but I think if a latheuser is not able to hook up a vaccum pump properly, he should not doing this as business/hobby. Imagine if real challenges or problems occur = lost :D

handcut

Re: Rietschle VTE-8 Vacuum Pump

Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:42 am

TheCrates wrote:Its simply the best solution.... You can modify aquarium pumps, thats silent too but you need some technical skills.
A little off-topic, but I wonder if anybody has had success with an aquarium pump combined with a venturi valve?
TheCrates wrote:No accusation, but I think if a latheuser is not able to hook up a vaccum pump properly, he should not doing this as business/hobby. Imagine if real challenges or problems occur = lost :D
I appreciate your concern, but surely that could be said about 90% of the threads on these boards. Vacuum systems & swarf removal seem to be a real headache for people, especially plastic cutters, so hopefully threads such as this - in the spirit of information sharing - can help people build a system that works properly with the minimum of down time in the process. A high power industrial vacuum pump is not the same as a wet & dry vac.
Thelurker wrote:I've seen someone snap the lid off a souri chip jar with one of these. Very powerful but suprisingly quiet!

Basically you have to make sure you use professional connections throughout otherwise things will either break or you'll get leakage.
That's good advice, thanks. Braided vacuum hose all the way then!

TheCrates

Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:17 am

Forgot one word: "Also". I meant the vte system seem to be the best out of the box solution with a vr. Works for all users i know, including me with a vt3.

Also a good alternative is a aquarium pump, like a wisa 1000 (which were installed in old neumann lathes) or modern yasunaga hp pumps with a lot of power. Youre good fitted now, but there are a few threads at lathetrolls in case youre interessted.

Again, no accusation at yours, you solved it with a bung before my reply. I did that also (found them at amazon for a few dollars).

So the remark didnt meant you, well done and happy cutting. :)

handcut

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:10 am

It works and blimey is it powerful! Amazing. So quiet!

First thing I did was check the vanes and air filter. Vanes are fine, but the air filter was filthy. Found a replacement online for £6. Mains cable was terminated with a 3-pin Molex, so rewired that. The barbed hose connector was not present, so I had to find one - be aware of this! The threaded inlet measured 3/4", but BSP (British Standard Pipe) threads bare no relation to the actual size of the thread!!! A 3/4" BSP fitting actually measures 1 1/16th. The appropriate fitting is actually 1/2" BSP. I stole the braided hose from an old washing machine that somebody had dumped in an alleyway near our house - perfect with a 10mm I.D. Next I paid a visit to the local homebrew beer shop and picked up a 27mm rubber bung with an 8mm bore through it for 50p. Getting the hose through the bung took some effort, but got there in the end. Fired it up, stuck my finger over the end of the brass swarf tube and almost ripped the lid off the swarf jar the suction is so strong! Did a test cut and even without antistatic spray there is no dropped swarf. I've cut about 100 sides with it now and it hasn't dropped the thread once!

Definitely recommended. All for less than the price of a new industrial wet & dry vac. Happy days.

Spiderxdeath

Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:27 am

What is the best material for the hose? Brass? If not something else?

Hedelain

Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:27 pm

Pictures of how you set up the vte 8 would be an awful lot of help. Just bought one on ebay and need to start looking into tubes and settings.

Gridlock

Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:26 am

First to the aquarium store and then to the home winemaker (vinter) store. And YES, use a proper cork bunghole if you can.

BUNGHOLE.
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

emidisc

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:10 am

Handcut do you any pictures links to your vac setup please!

petermontg

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:38 pm

Spiderxdeath wrote:What is the best material for the hose? Brass? If not something else?
Are you speaking of tube from pump to chip jar or from chip to nozzle?

Best
Peter
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.

handcut

Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:44 am

emidisc wrote:Handcut do you any pictures links to your vac setup please!
I don't. I'll see if I can get hold of a camera this week and take a few if I have time.