How far towards the center of a 7" should I cut?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

asqus

How far towards the center of a 7" should I cut?

Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:53 pm

Hi all,

I'm cutting with a vinyl recorder and someone recently mentioned to me that there are standards for how far toward the center of a 7" I should cut.

Currently if I use a groove distance of around 40 I get 4 minutes on a side, but that's only if I allow the cutterhead to slightly overlap the brass weight that gets placed over the record to hold it in place, if that makes sense?

Am I cutting too far towards the center?

Thanks!
A

Soulbear

Re: How far towards the center of a 7" should I cut?

Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:58 pm

Hi There,
The RIAA Standards for Cutting "Disc Dimensions" are published here and elswhere :- http://www.aardvarkmastering.com/riaa.htm
You might want to check them out.
Hope this helps
Regards :wink: :P :D Soulbear

tragwag

Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:41 pm

it's worth looking at the standards, though I put a label down on a blank and find my lock groove area with that. The machine itself can cut further in than the 7" label size, but in general you don't want to get that far.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

TheCrates

Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:26 pm

In gerneral i help(ed) myself pulling out some good sounding records, looking how the pros did it.. Measured (also the grooves depth and distance) and trie(d) to cut the same way. Of course its not possible to do a neumann high end professional cut with a vr.. but impressive results can be definitly done with it.

Average cuts: 45rpm = 4 mins 33rpm = 6 mins

Standarts are posted above, also very helpful, experience and documentation helps a lot.

Gridlock

Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:59 pm

When the corner of your cutting head gets bumped by the drive pin, stripping both mounting screws! I am kidding. Click the above link for aardvark mastering's RIAA stuff. That guy is really cool and knows his stuff inside and out and has made some crazy innovations. Yep
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

asqus

Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:21 am

Thanks all. That Aardvark guide is great!