How do you disclaim for low fidelity ?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Gridlock

How do you disclaim for low fidelity ?

Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:13 pm

I am making advertising and all my customers have been super happy so far. I try to warn people about low fidelity but they don't really care although I have had some really dumb questions directed at me. For example a guy came over and cut some drum and bass stuff. Then he said OK now can we lay down some vocals on that? You get the idea. "I was thinking we could make the guitar you know kinda tremolo back and forth between the two mono channels. " etc. OK so what's a good short disclaimer? For reference I cut 7" black flexis on a presto k8 with the old school head. Thanks trolls
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

fredbissnette

Re: How do you disclaim for low fidelity ?

Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:43 pm

i tell ppl i make lo to mid fi records and i have a stereo head but i warn ppl that its all down the middle due to embossing

feel free to check out my website and rip off anything useful bro

i also tell ppl that not everything will translate well some records sound 75% pressed and some like dirty 78s

just depends on the program material.

i always send a test rip of a test cut and a video of it playing

cheers
Instagram @styluspressurerecords

tragwag

Re: How do you disclaim for low fidelity ?

Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:29 pm

cool yeah, I have a distinction right away between LOFI (mono embossed on the presto) and HIFI (stereo diamond cut on the VR)
so I think that helps people.
Absolute best way is having multiple MP3 rips on your site, or available to email to people.
I also have a video of the mono machines working, so people really get it hammered home that I'm doing these one at a time, in real time, and on antiquated machines.

the question you had from the guitar guy is something you're gonna get, no matter how good your explanation of fidelity is.

Before I had the stereo machine, I wrote a short novel on the quality of the mono cuts, trying to quell expectations.
I also make certain, as much as possible, that clients never use the words press, vinyl, etc when selling the lathe cuts.
it then helps the end user understand a little better that this is a separate thing.

It helps to listen to tracks before cutting, and let people know if a remix would be helpful - most of them don't go through with it, but it shows you care and you're taking every possible step.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com