Alan Graves to visit Eugene, OR on Thursday July 6th, 2017.

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

EpicenterBryan

Alan Graves to visit Eugene, OR on Thursday July 6th, 2017.

Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:37 pm

Hey guys,
Sorry for the short notice but...
Our beloved Presto expert and Mentor Alan Graves will be dropping by my place this Thursday, July 6th.
I just wanted to let everyone know they are welcome to come hang with us and talk about all things related... be it disc recorders, tape recorders, or generally cool audio history.

If you are within driving distance and have some gear you need the expert to look over and give advice on, bring it along - or come as you are and say hello.

Chime in and let me know if you may show and I'll make sure there is food and drink for all.

Alan and I have been chatting about this visit for a month or so but time really accelerated this summer and here we are! The sort notice is my fault. Perhaps I subconsciously wanted to hoard his time all to myself? No, really.... Everyone is welcome. Drop me an RSVP for food and drink sake!

A shot from last year's visit... (perhaps the year before).
IMG_3719.JPG
P.S. Sorry for posting under "secrets" rather than another category. I thought this would get the most number of eyeballs since I messed things up by making the announcement so short...

Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

socialroots

Re: Alan Graves to visit Eugene, OR on Thursday July 6th, 20

Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:52 am

Great that you doing this as much as possible, this is one of those tim3s that I wished I lived on the other side of the pacific! Alan is someone that I would really love to meet, been very helpful whenever ive emailed him about anythingPresto related, and has always promptly replied my questions, how cool is that for someone to be so curteous and helpful when there was no money biz involved? Not too many people like that left and his knowledge and expertise, experience a treasure to discover and im sure your soaking it all in and very noble of you to want to share.
Lots of respect going out to you Brian as well foralways sharing your knowledge and experiments as well, its one of the main reasons I check in everyday to this site!
have a great session and even a better summer,
max respect from Taiwan,
Patrick

tragwag

Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:54 am

Ah, really wish I could meet Alan sometime. His open nature and expertise is such a valuable and cherished resource.
If you can - post some video of your meeting!
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Gridlock

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:35 am

Yes! This fossil has some great stories and knowledge. I'll swing by
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

EpicenterBryan

Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:13 pm

Update: Alan will be here around 10am, and his lovely and very understanding wife will be picking him up around 4PM.

For those who missed videos from last year, below are links for two of them. One I just posted today:

New today:
On the Presto TL-10...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh_LX0jsHJk

Kevin and making picnic plate records with a K8 - with Alan Graves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd9hCoRcvP0

rimitti

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:58 am

나의 Redmi Note 3 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

EpicenterBryan

Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:41 pm

The day went way to fast!
We had an awesome time hanging with Alan today. We did a little BBQ action around noon with some Brats and Sauerkraut, and some potato salad. Kevin (Gridlock) made it a little later and brought the missing ingredient - Beer!

We had a little disaster with batteries on the video recorder and lost most of what was shot, except for perhaps 5 minutes or so that I'll put together and post this weekend.

Thanks again to Alan's wife Ruth for being such a great sport, and for the loan of the big guy for the day!
Here is a photo Ruth took of us Trolls... Thanks Ruth! We had so much fun!
The Boys.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.