FAO Experienced cutters based in the UK????

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

status66uk

FAO Experienced cutters based in the UK????

Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:46 pm

This is a last ditch appeal to any experienced cutters based in the UK

Would anyone be prepared to come to my home and help me get the best out of my VR set up? I would pay all expenses, hotel, fuel and time, Im based in Lincolnshire

Ive had it for 4 months now and its depressing me that i cant get it to do what i bought it for, So much in fact that im seriously considering selling it at a big loss and ive found a buyer already! Of course i dont really want to sell and would do anything for it to consistently cut full LP sides

Audiowise it cuts lovely, i bought it to cut LPs but i seem to have problems with swarf wrapping round the stylus and having to abort every cut, ive wasted dozens of blanks, also ive noticed the stylus seems to get gradually lighter as the side progresses causing a very slight slope in pitch from the beginning of an LP to the centre, is this normal?

If anyone can help, give me a shout ASAP as the buyer is picking it up on Saturday 22nd if i confirm the sale but i would be so disappointed if i did have to sell without someone looking at it and observing my cutting, im probably making loads of schoolboy mistakes!

Gridlock

Re: FAO Experienced cutters based in the UK????

Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:49 pm

You can never expect to jump right into real cutting. I electrocuted myself real bad and just stared at the lathe for about a year... Studying,
Mentally preparing myself for the thing that is lathe. Constant vigilance. Hard core
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

fredbissnette

Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:02 pm

dont give up its a very hard thing to do and you will get better

once you are a bit more comfortable you will get a kick out of being a person that does what very few on this planet do

ive rebuilt my machine 7 times troubleshooting before i got a sellable product

keep at it
Instagram @styluspressurerecords

TheCrates

Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:55 am

Sadly im in germany too, i would help, just to find the problem and a solution, because i never had any. :/

You got it first hand of souri, why not ask him for another training session?

I wouldnt give up that fast, i guess the problem is minor, the vr is pretty plug and play.

Cheers

status66uk

Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:20 am

This machine has had 2 owners before me, Im finding it to be the farthest thing you can imagine from plug and play! Lol

TheCrates

Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:21 am

Ah ok, thought youre the first hand user, :( I guess you tried to contact the original owner or your seller?! Good luck, hope theres somebody located in UK! Cheers

handcut

Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:11 am

Hi,

I'll PM you.