"Vinyls" and other new words for old things

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Aussie0zborn

"Vinyls" and other new words for old things

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:45 pm

I've heard it all now. Records have become "vinyls" (there is no such word in the English language) but there are a few new ones.

One US mastering house new to disc cutting has introduced a new term for Lacquer Disc Cutting: "vinyl lacquering".

Flying Vinyl UK invite you to sign up and get "5 x Exclusive Vinyl" every month. One might ask, "vinyl WHAT exactly"? Vinyl trousers, vinyl floor tiles or vinyl records?

Sony Music invite us to go and buy re-issued Midintght Oil "vinyl's". Just as I was getting used to hearing "vinyls" they go and put an unnecessary apostrophe in it.

One of these re-issued Midnight Oil albums had the same song appear twice on Side A by mistake. Seems to me they used a cutting studio that did "vinyl lacquering" instead of disc mastering and used a plant that makes "vinyls" rather than records but I digress.

But here's an even newer one that's really confusing me : Australian singer songwriter Sarah McLeod is offering "signed albums and vinyls" for sale on her website. What format is the album on if its not a vinyl record, CD or digital file??

Any other unnecessary new words for old stuff out there? I'd like to add them to our Wiki.

tragwag

Re: "Vinyls" and other new words for old things

Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:12 pm

Im sure there's an album somewhere out there that has "mastering by (premastering engineer)" and "mastering by (cutting engineer)"

also - what's with the big labels never listening to test pressings? I've seen or heard of a few records with duplicate tracks, or improper order vs the label designation, mostly from giant record labels, what gives?
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Aussie0zborn

Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:36 am

tragwag wrote:Im sure there's an album somewhere out there that has "mastering by (premastering engineer)" and "mastering by (cutting engineer
I've yet to see one. The way Discogs credits mastering engineers is acording to what credits are on the record cover.
They then look at the cutting engineer's mark and add "Lacquer Cut By ____" even though the lacquer cutter is not credited on the record cover.

I think the Disc Cutting Engineer does a lot more than Discogs thinks.

jjgolden

Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:34 pm

I think some of it is lack of mentoring and/or desire to learn more than "just getting it to work."
Many of the people working in the world of "vinyl's productioning" are figuring it out on their own and hence invent words to fill gaps in knowledge.

Re: Labels not listening to TP's.
Similar thing, many still don't know or completely understand how to listen, or what to listen for on a test pressing.
I remember cutting for labels in the late 90's early 2k's that didn't even own a record player!
Some of them eventually got them, but there was that period they went through and somehow learned from. :idea:

I've heard the word, "Vinyl Lathing" also… : )

JJG