Sound fluctuations from cutter head

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

kafkablues

Sound fluctuations from cutter head

Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:30 pm

Hi folks, I have been cutting for about a year on and off and mostly getting decent cuts (after getting to grips with static etc). Just recently I have been experiencing something new. Up until now the sound coming from the cutter head and disc whilst cutting has been constant throughout. However during some of my latest cuts the sound from cutterhead/disc during cutting has been fluctuating. It's going from what I consider to be normal to quite loud, not mega loud but an increase non the less. I've stopped cutting for the moment just to check out what this is and ask if this something that needs attention????

As a note, the cuts where this has occurred seem fine.

Also I have no idea what wow/flutter sounds like in case that's a possibility.

Much appreciated.

tragwag

Re: Sound fluctuations from cutter head

Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:41 pm

does the cutter head physically move up and down a lot while cutting?
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

kafkablues

Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:31 am

IMG_0545.JPG
IMG_0548.JPG
IMG_0547.JPG
IMG_0545.JPG
Think I may have an idea. Seems to be a ever so slight difference in the level between the inside of the platter and outside. So small you wouldn't notice with the naked eye. See photos. Up until now I've been cutting only 7" and this problem (if it is indeed a problem) has only occurred during cutting 12". The volume does seem to increase around where the 7" starts. I have included a picture of platter. Any suggestions/theories?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tragwag

Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:12 pm

That could be it! Search the term 'platter runout'
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com