Was the CARBON Desktop Record Lathe Ever Made??

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

mrlogikal

Was the CARBON Desktop Record Lathe Ever Made??

Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:32 am

Does anyone know anything about the "Carbon Desktop Record Lathe"? Like, did it ever get manufactured? If not, what kept that from happening? Will it still be made? Is it still being worked on? Was there ever a working model of it? If there was, how did it play after the grooves were laid? Etc.

I came across it in a little while back and it looks pretty cool but I haven't heard anything about it and I haven't seen anybody talking about it and I haven't heard of anyone using it. So I thought I would ask just to satisfy my own curiosity.

http://www.cllw.co/carbon/

ilium

Re: Was the CARBON Desktop Record Lathe Ever Made??

Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:22 pm

Looks like a design student's thesis on what it might look like rather than an actual plan to build it.