Diamond stylus on tonearm cutting lathe possible?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

boryo

Diamond stylus on tonearm cutting lathe possible?

Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:57 am

Hello trolls,
forgive me the newb question but is it possible to use a cutting styli on tonearm cutting lathe like Presto 75A for cutting instead of embossing? The head is 1C.
Something makes me think it's not possible but I'm not sure.
This is the styli I'm referring to: http://www.myshank.com/en/vanrock-fairchild-presto/117-diamond-stylus-462-p.html

Also any chance someone to post a sound clip of record that was cut with these old Prestos instead of embossed?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

timinbovey

Re: Diamond stylus on tonearm cutting lathe possible?

Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:39 am

Of course. I would venture to say that literally millions of lacquer records have been cut on these machines over the past 50 years or so. They were really meant to cut records, not emboss them, although embossing was certainly a viable option.

There is a wide variety of cutting styli appropriate for these machines, from steel to stellite, to sapphire, ruby and yes, even diamond (note your link was for a "synthetic diamond").

You will find the sound quality of a cut record far superior to an embossed record.

This assumes you're cutting an appropriate disc, generally a lacquer or "acetate" coated disc, although there are other options as well.

I'm sure on Youtube you could find hundreds of cut Presto records being played.

Most commonly used cutters are, I'd say, sapphire or ruby.

Tim in Bovey

boryo

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:58 am

Hey Tim, thanks for your reply!

With this machine I will cut mainly lexan and myshank blanks. Will try laquer some day just for the feeling but I'm not that deep
If I'm correct lexan and myshanks are cut with diamond.
I know I put link to synth, I only chosen it because of the 50% more life as stated in the description, don't know any other differences now.

I've been searching a lot before decided to post here. Unfortunately on youtube I did not found anything much helpful on the sound quality, everyone seems to be embossing or audio is recorded from the camera's mic.
I will appreciate a lot if someone provide sound clip of mono CUT record.
Already heard some embossed examples from guys here which are ok to me, but I want to get the max out of this machine even if its just for one time.
This makes me think that maybe a stereo cutting head will also work? I hope so!
Of course, maybe with modification but this is another story and not for now...

Thanks,
Bob

piaptk

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:51 am

With Myshank diamond styli you will be cutting, NOT embossing. You will get better fidelity, but you will also have more difficulties with things like chip and stylus life. That machine is not very well set up for cutting diamond because you need vacuum, stylus heat, etc.

However, Kyle at Soniphone records uses one similar (the only person I know that uses diamond cutting styli on a swingarm lathe), so you might want to email him for some tips.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

boryo

Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:47 am

Thank you for your help guys!
Already got reply from Soniphone records. Even recorded with camera their records sounds really good, so first thing to do when I get my head from Tod is to get a diamond and try myself.

For everyone who wants to check the quality of recording here it is, just scroll down: https://www.instagram.com/soniphonerecords/

Thanks,
Bob

piaptk

Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:03 pm

You will also probably have a lot shorter of a stylus life because those swing arms don't have very good weight adjustment.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

boryo

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:46 am

Is this because the wieght is adjusted by a spring?