Shorten Long Stylii OK?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

timinbovey

Shorten Long Stylii OK?

Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:13 pm

Probably a silly question, but I've never done it before.

Over the past month or so I've brought two machines back to life, a Recordio (NOT a Recordette) and a Rek-O-Kut. And I'm close to getting the Presto J-5 going.
Far as I know these all take the short cutting stylus.

I have a bunch of vintage but new short steel and stellite styli, and a bunch of nice new (vintage) sapphire long shank stylii.

Any reason I can't cut the long styli down to short styli size to use in these machines?

TIB

EpicenterBryan

Re: Shorten Long Stylii OK?

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:29 pm

timinbovey wrote:Any reason I can't cut the long styli down to short styli size to use in these machines?
No problem. Measure and cut as needed. Sharp Dikes work fine. File the ends if needed. I've done the same per MarkRob's advice on aluminum shanks with zero issues.

Bryan