Stylus (shank) dimensions

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

chris-zwarg

Stylus (shank) dimensions

Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:42 am

Does anyone have reliable info on the shank dimensions (length and diameter) for the "362" and "462" sapphire and diamond styli variously offered online? The descriptions generally say only "for Grampian" vs. "for Presto", which really doesn't help much trying to find something that fits a Neumann R12b mono cutter head!

The "handmade" Tungsten cutting and embossing styli available are considerably longer than the old factory-made steel ones, a handful of which came with my lathe, which are merely between 13 and 15 mm long (various types/makes), with the shortest ones giving the best results IMHO - the sound tends to get duller and woollier with a longer stylus. Shank diameter is about 1.5 mm (no way to measure micrometers here, sorry).

Before I invest in expensive diamond styli, I should like to set up and test everything (currently adding a chip suction for instance) with steel or tungsten styli matching the outer dimensions of the available 362 or 462 types as closely as possible. But as I said, I need to know the shank length and diameter of these, to check whether they will fit at all. Thanks for pointing me to this information.

timinbovey

Re: Stylus (shank) dimensions

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:04 pm

I could tell you exactly if my digital measuring device didn't have a dead battery. I have both a 362 and 462, brand new from Apollo/Transco sitting in the studio right now. I'll pick up a battery for my measurer tomorrow and if no one beats me to it, I'll measure and post.

I have a variety of machines I'm bringing back to life including a couple Recordios, a Rek-O-Kut and Presto. I believe the heart of the trouble with stylus selection (at least to start) is there isn't any ready documentation for what stylus size was originally used. My Presto J-5 just refers to the cutting stylus -- I have both the operation instructions and the service manual. None gives size specs for the stylus. Same with the Recordios, -- just say to use Recordio Point cutters.

If I recall (and this cold be sketchy, I'm just getting back into cutting after 20+ years away) the Recordio type machines, and other home cutters with the flat crystal style cutters generally take the "short" stylus, and the vertical cutters take a long stylus. But this is certainly not actually known by me, nor do I have anything to back it up. LOL. Ii I remember right I always used short in my Recordio. The Rek-O-Kut I just bought from a guy who had been using it right along still had a sapphire cutter in it, and it's definitely long. It also seems to me the steel ones for Recordios, etc were not only short, but had a bit larger diameter and don't fit in the machines meant for the smaller diameter.

Unless someone determines what was really meant for every cutter head, it's kind of a crap shoot, methinks. I know my attempts to use the longer styli in the Recordio did not work out.

TIB

timinbovey

Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:27 pm

Now that I have my digital calipers working again (6 year old battery was quite dead)

I've decided that since I do have a stock of quite a few different NOS cutting stylii, still in the original packages, when I get a chance I'm just going to measure them all for length and shank diameter and post it.
Maybe it will be useful to someone, maybe not. LOL. I can tell you right now that a Transco 462 and an original Presto 604-A are virtually identical in size -- Transco at .760 inches long and .062" diameter.
The original Presto's are .757 long and .064 diameter. So, by a couple thousands they're identical. Now, this is measuring a ruby tip Transco vs a sapphire Presto (which is new old stock). So I'd call them equal in size.

So, that's not much to go on, but I have more, so I'll work on it when I get a chance. Probably start a thread for the tally.

Tim in Bovey

chris-zwarg

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:23 am

Thanks for your reply so far. It certainly helps to know that the 462, at roughly 3/4" length, is not the one I need which is more like 1/2" or maybe 5/8". Of course one can shorten the aluminium shank, but I rather not have to manhandle an expensive jewel-point stylus unless there is no other way. If you find a 362 among your holdings, please report the length and diameter as well. Thank you!

timinbovey

Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:41 pm

OK, I have completed the first listing of measurements of cutting styli in my collection.

Except for the last two under "random styli" these are all brand new. The Transco are recently purchased, the others are "NOS" - new old stock - new, never used but old.

Obviously I've never had a need for the more high end styli, but this should give some idea of the various sizes. All carefully measured with a digital caliper. Feel free to download and save if you
have need for the information. You should be able to grab the pdf here:

http://www.kebsrecords.com/stylusspecs.pdf

I have more styli laying around here and there and as I organize them I'll add to the list and update this post.

TIB

timinbovey

Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:30 pm

Just an update -- my list of measured cutting styli has been updatged to include an Audio Point #14 long shank.

http://www.kebsrecords.com/stylusspecs.pdf

Tim in Bovey