sources of surface noise? (vinyl recorder)

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

tragwag

sources of surface noise? (vinyl recorder)

Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:01 pm

I've been working through some issues regarding different types of noise during cuts.
It seems that high noise floor due to a scraping sound, or static type sound are due to stylus condition or position.
I'm having issues with excessive clicks or pops during cuts, often during the lead in groove, but sometimes in the middle of discs too.
Is that caused by chip pickup, stylus heat? or some other issue? I'm trying to narrow down the variables here

using vinyl recorder, diamond stylus and myshank blanks
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

handcut

Re: sources of surface noise? (vinyl recorder)

Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:57 am

I've found that 90% of noise issues with this machine are down to stylus position and condition, as I'm sure you are aware. I don't use stylus heat beyond zero on the dial (just switched on) and that is usually enough to get rid of that 'static' sound you are describing. As soon as I start getting that 'pfft' sound, I change the stylus and 'scope inspection usually confirms that the tip is dull.
Increasing heat seems to have little effect with myshank blanks and styli versus Souri's blanks and styli where there's that very audible increase in noise before it falls away to the quiet spot. I wonder if it's something to do with the gauge of wire used in the heater coils?

Just out of curiosity, how often do you clean the stylus?

A friend with a VR and I have been discussing the construction of a jig to aid correct stylus positioning within the head.

Oh, also, regarding pops, do check for pitting in blanks, it's rare but it does happen.

Are you 100% sure it's not a problem with your source?

tragwag

Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:37 am

appreciate the response thanks. yeah the source is fine, it happens across a few different sources.
I can see the head moving up and down slightly during the cut, which is either the blank condition or my turntable level.
I clean the stylus probably 2 or 3 times a day if it's a particularly noisy day, usually once a day if Im not having issues.

handcut

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:32 pm

Whenever I've experienced noise from uneven blanks or run-out, it's always been more of a 'swoosh' sound.

tragwag

Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:55 pm

handcut wrote:Whenever I've experienced noise from uneven blanks or run-out, it's always been more of a 'swoosh' sound.
good to know, thanks for the tip.

I did find that my dashpot was essentially not working. I adjusted it, and now I have much smoother head drop and much less dropped chip (crossing my fingers it continues)
thanks!

David34

Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:02 pm

I would love to know when this jig is made. I will be your 1st customer!!

PMST

Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:29 am

Did anything ever come of this jig? Would be such a good thing and save so much time messing around with the stylus! :)

PMST

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:22 am

tragwag wrote:I've been working through some issues regarding different types of noise during cuts.
It seems that high noise floor due to a scraping sound, or static type sound are due to stylus condition or position.
I'm having issues with excessive clicks or pops during cuts, often during the lead in groove, but sometimes in the middle of discs too.
Is that caused by chip pickup, stylus heat? or some other issue? I'm trying to narrow down the variables here

Going back to the original post, I was wondering about your thoughts on the scraping sound, whether it is stylus position, or possibly weight? I have got my cuts now with no noise apart from this scraping sound, it isn't too loud, but it is there for sure, I'm now using a new stylus and still the same noise, sound quality is great, but just this last scraping sound to try and full eliminate. Do you have any tips on fixing this noise? Or is it just mechanical and likely to be there?

alexsation

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:23 pm

You can post a sample of your noise here to listen to it. I recently encountered the same problem.
Best regards, Alexey Sobolev.
http://www.vinylium.ru
http://shop.vinylium.ru

Discomo

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:38 pm

PMST wrote:
tragwag wrote:I've been working through some issues regarding different types of noise during cuts.

Going back to the original post, I was wondering about your thoughts on the scraping sound, whether it is stylus position, or possibly weight? I have got my cuts now with no noise apart from this scraping sound, it isn't too loud, but it is there for sure, I'm now using a new stylus and still the same noise, sound quality is great, but just this last scraping sound to try and full eliminate. Do you have any tips on fixing this noise? Or is it just mechanical and likely to be there?
Is the weight of your cuttinghead maybe too heavy? I would try make it lighter. I have no such noise. Only hissing when the stylus wears out. No popping either. I can imagine popping is a static issue.

alexsation

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:10 pm

I have never had a problem with noise before, but a few days ago it appeared and I can’t find the problem. The noise is like the ordinary rubbing of a stylus against a plastic blank, now I'm in search of a problem. I think that in this case the stylus is not guilty, I have already changed 5 diamonds but the noise has not disappeared, the problem is somewhere deeper.
Best regards, Alexey Sobolev.
http://www.vinylium.ru
http://shop.vinylium.ru

PMST

Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:03 am

After trouble shooting im wondering if the \scraping' sound is due to platter wobble, I have noticed a little more movement in my 1200 platter this week so sending to for full service, will see if that eliminates the noise.

When trouble shooting I max'd the recording gain and realised that the scraping noise has a rhythmic feel to it, so im working if its the wobble as that too if dipping once a rotation.

Anyways, will report back once its sorted......

tragwag

Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:58 pm

oh yeah that makes sense! could be the blank getting decoupled from the platter too, try taping the blank down with double sided tape if it's warped even a little bit

nikc

Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:48 am

PMST wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:03 am
After trouble shooting im wondering if the \scraping' sound is due to platter wobble, I have noticed a little more movement in my 1200 platter this week so sending to for full service, will see if that eliminates the noise.

When trouble shooting I max'd the recording gain and realised that the scraping noise has a rhythmic feel to it, so im working if its the wobble as that too if dipping once a rotation.

Anyways, will report back once its sorted......

Hi PMST. I have the same scraping noise and i have a little platter wobble. even with different stylus; Did you fix the problem?

Best

Nik
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records

PMST

Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:29 am

Yeah i got it sorted. I found it to be a combination of two things, firstly, platter wobble of the 1200, i now only cut on SP10's. The second issue, is on one of my lathes, the overhead raises slightly over the travel, which puts pressure on one side of the diamond. My 2nd lathe does not do this.

I raise the left hand side of the SP10 with 1mm rubber washers and it has fixed it. It comes back now and again, and that is generally just meaning the head needs repositioning, as the angle is slightly off.

It's geometry based noise, especially when it is rhythmic on each rotation, its just working out what angles work best, mine is a mixture of head and turntable adjustment, along with a much more stable platter!

David34

Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:36 pm

How did you go with the jig to ensure head is on properly?

nikc

Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:33 pm

Hi PMST
Thanks for the reply. Yes mine is rhythmical so suspect its the slight platter wobble. With on old machine
,MSS, I need a metal machinist to make a new spindle.
Thanks agian
Nik
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records

Discomo

Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:34 pm

I had the exact same problem with a wobbly 1210. Exchanged it for a SP10 which is a night and day difference on many levels.
Much better definition and clarity due to a stable platter.

RV75

Mon May 16, 2022 5:10 am

Discomo wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:38 pm
PMST wrote:

Is the weight of your cuttinghead maybe too heavy? I would try make it lighter. I have no such noise. Only hissing when the stylus wears out. No popping either. I can imagine popping is a static issue.

Hi There,

I am using a VMS80 and have the same problem. I have aligning the stylus correctly, but after i have done a cut i QC and the groove walls are smooth but when I play back the lacq and crank the volume i can hear surface noise.

I would like to test lightening the weight but dont know how to adjust it on the VMS 80.

Thanks in advance.