Turntable Platter Mats?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

timinbovey

Turntable Platter Mats?

Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:10 pm

It just seems to me that someone should be reproducing platter mats for cutting machines.

My Presto J-5 is missing it's mat, but I have a ROK with a perfect, original, black mat that also seems to be a nearly perfect fit on the Presto. Actually it's maybe a 1/4 diameter smaller than an original
Presto mat, but close enough for me.

What the heck are these made of? I only have the ROK as a reference. If it's rubber it's mighty thin.

I know it shouldn't be that hard to cut a circle and put a hole in the middle, and a hole for the second pin, but to get it right so it looks good and works right is rather tedious.

There must be someone who could reproduce these. A regular replacement TT rubber mat doesn't work, as they're not flat and need a second hole. They're all ribbed. Bad for cutting.

I have some 1/16 rubber but it's much thicker than the ROK original. I'm going to get a hunk of 1/32 and see how that feels.

Is someone already making these? It could seem some outfit that stamps out rubber products would whip up a thousand of these buggers.

Tim in Bovey

fredbissnette

Re: Turntable Platter Mats?

Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:27 pm

i use the technics 1/4''
Instagram @styluspressurerecords