Stylus Length for Presto J-5 with Audax Cutter?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

timinbovey

Stylus Length for Presto J-5 with Audax Cutter?

Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:34 pm

Getting ready to do some test cuts with the Presto J-5.

Anyone know what length stylus was the correct size for this machine? "Long" or "short" would be enough.

Neither the operators manual nor the service manual mention stylus size.

I just hate to waste blank space and stylus life more than necessary.

It's a 1937 J-5 with an Audax head, I assume the one that came with it. It has no model number on it.

Anyone know?

Tim in Bovey

Gridlock

Re: Stylus Length for Presto J-5 with Audax Cutter?

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:24 am

You can adjust the height of the head on the back of it with 2 screws. Try not to strip them when readjusting. That will be how you adjust whether the needle is pointed straight down or not also. If you use a long shank, adjust the head higher and for a short shank adjust it lower
Hope this helps and please add pictures of your progress. Serial #? Platter speed is 78 I'm sure. Does the amp work? You should be able to power that head with a good amp if it doesn't. The motor will still run without the on switch for the amp on if you do that.woo!
Also; where is bovey?
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

timinbovey

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:25 am

Ah, so the goal, really, is a cutting stylus that is 90 degrees to the disc, straight up and down, eh?
Seems like a basic thing to know.

I did quite a bit of record cutting back in the mid-late 70's and also about 25 years ago, and all on a console Recordio that I inherited and restored back then. The turntable is mounted down inside the cabinet so it's difficult to get an image in your mind of how things are aligned. But I do remember making adjustments that changed angle and down force until I got the quietest cut I could.

The amp in my J-5 is non-functional and I haven't been able to determine the trouble. All good tubes in it. I've replaced all the drippy icky wax capacitors, and one broken resistor, but nothing. I get absolutely zero sound from the speaker -- not a click or a hum, complete silence. I suspected an open field coil but that checked out OK. If anyone has any tips for common failure points let me know.

I have several amps to use in the meantime, a Rekokut (I don't remember the model, but the common one, lol) and a nifty 1947 mic/instrument amp that works quite nicely, and a Grommes mono tube amp from the 50's. So I'll be experimenting, once I get it set up to cut the quietest groove without any modulation.

I'll have to check the serial # when I get home from work. Yes, 78 speed only. Don't see many J-5's!

I'd like to get the built in amp going as I was hoping to use this for some portable work.

Bovey, Minnesota, up north north west of Grand Rapids on the way to Hibbing. On the Iron Range!

More later.

Tim in Bovey.

Gridlock

Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:37 pm

Sounds good just make sure you don't over drive the head or put the wrong ohms in it. You can easily line up a fuse to prevent head damage. 1 amp quick blow fuse should do nice until you get comfortable and want to beef it up a tiny bit. As far as angle for cutting, 90° straight up and down on the spinning axis and maybe 85° like ;

[Cutting head]
/ (needle)
<<<<<<<<<direction of disc<<<<<<<
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8