Souri doesnt manufacture VR anymore?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

JHL

Souri doesnt manufacture VR anymore?

Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:18 pm

:( :(

ennayess

Re: Souri doesnt manufacture VR anymore?

Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:20 pm

Really?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

piaptk

Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:59 am

He hasn't been actually selling them to anyone for years. It's weird. He goes to sxsw and trade shows to show it off and get press and then refuses to actually sell them.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

The Shank

Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:45 am

Of course he's still selling a lot of VR... many every week.

Selling to "low risk" guys is a priority. People able to have a VR today are guys with no knowledge, full noobs, no idea about what is cutting vinyl.
No complain possible... Kind of strange business.

So, if you have bought a VR TODAY: or you are perfect lier (with souri, congrats!), or a perfect noob.

No offense. Just my conclusion from what I see everyday...
http://www.myshank.com

* Diamond cutting stylus officials/prototypes
* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

JHL

Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:08 am

he reply me that too less order recently,if more order he will consider to produce VR again,he doesnt know how long it will take and he's 70year old know.
Kind of sad reply:(

Soulbear

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:44 am

Hi There,
JHL wrote:he reply me that too less order recently,if more order he will consider to produce VR again
Exactly the same response I received 3 years or so ago, when I enquired about the purchase of a VR System, this response is TOTAL BULLS**T!!! Oh. and would you like to be added to the waiting list in the event some more VR's get made??? UTTER CRAP!!! Perhaps Herr Ulrich Sourisseau's Oompa Loompas finally got savaged by the Vermicious Knid's. Many, many, have been sold in the intervening period, did I get an email after being added to this fantasy waiting list??? Not a F**king chance, do you think I ought to try again incognito?? Bollocks to that, I'll continue to repair/restore/renovate older technology, much more rewarding ultimately I think. In the interim, I'll continue to scratch my head in bemusement, at the most warped business model I've yet encountered.
JHL wrote:he's 70year old know.
Kind of sad reply:(
Trust me JHL young person, there's nothing sad about being 70 years old, whats that got to do with anything?? Te He :D :D :D
The Shank wrote:Of course he's still selling a lot of VR... many every week.

Selling to "low risk" guys is a priority. People able to have a VR today are guys with no knowledge, full noobs, no idea about what is cutting vinyl.
No complain possible... Kind of strange business.

So, if you have bought a VR TODAY: or you are perfect lier (with souri, congrats!), or a perfect noob.

No offense. Just my conclusion from what I see everyday..
The Shank's conclusions are Spot On
Regards
:wink: :P :D Soulbear

yano

Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:10 pm

there are strange things going on there, i could tell you some things about it.... :D

JHL

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:27 am

oh,that's so weird...what's matter with Souri,he only sell this machine to people he like? :?: :shock: :?

David34

Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:19 am

I got one and I quite like the guy.. Always been great to me.

I think he looks at it as an advantage if you are a musician/label..

boryo

Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:29 am

JHL wrote:oh,that's so weird...what's matter with Souri,he only sell this machine to people he like? :?: :shock: :?

Probably... but hey, it is his product and he has the right to sell to whoever he wants and unfortunately we can not do anything about it. Not good that people are rejected by him but that's life. The good point is that people start thinking and get creative to build their own machines :)
I also want to get my hands on VR but we will see.
We exchanged maybe 20 emails a couple of months ago and he stopped at one moment, so I though... guess what :D
But then a month ago he contacted me aagain with some questions which put some light in the tunnel. Hope dies last and atleast dreaming is free :D

JHL

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:05 am

My friend email Souri too,get a totally different reply,Souri ask him to come to Germany to learn and get the machine and buy on cash only....don not shipping anywhere...
:( cant figure out this situation,i am a musician and own a small label too,just try to get VR to cut my own records.
build own machines is too difficult to me i guess :(

handcut

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:23 am

JHL wrote:My friend email Souri too,get a totally different reply,Souri ask him to come to Germany to learn and get the machine and buy on cash only....don not shipping anywhere...
:( cant figure out this situation,i am a musician and own a small label too,just try to get VR to cut my own records.
build own machines is too difficult to me i guess :(
That is standard. Everybody has to go to Germany, do the 'training' and pay cash. I can understand why, he must've had to deal with every kind of knobhead over the years. Even though he cut me off (no idea why), I still like the guy and admire what he has achieved - an affordable, easy to use and great-sounding system. Yes, it isn't perfect, but I've cut thousands of sides on our VR and can count complaints about sound quality on one hand. There are tons of posts on here about the economics of cutting plastic with diamond and they should be taken very seriously.

MEGAMIKE

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:06 pm

:roll: biglove VR
Last edited by MEGAMIKE on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JHL

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:07 pm

so all VR user use went to Germany "Training"?It seems Souri live in a small town,dont even have a train pass by.. :(

handcut

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:16 pm

The irony being that his workshop seems to be an old train station! Nice place, very nice hotel/brewery down the road serving great food and great beer, Souri is a nice guy in person with a good sense of humour, if a little jaded. If your friend has the opportunity to go there, make a nice holiday, go to the black forest or something, Germany has many beautiful places. I got a cheap flight to Munich and drove to his place from there, got quite lost and then almost found the place by accident with no map or GPS or anything. It was fun being lost in the German countryside and I didn't bang my head on the steering wheel once! Then after my time in Souri-world I drove back to Munich for Oktoberfest, drank too much hefe weissbier and realised I'd already forgotten everything and my notes looked like the scrawling of a madman. Yes, in short, everybody has to go to Germany - but I say make it a fun trip anyway so there's no sour grapes if it all goes awry.

JHL

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:41 pm

handcut wrote:The irony being that his workshop seems to be an old train station! Nice place, very nice hotel/brewery down the road serving great food and great beer, Souri is a nice guy in person with a good sense of humour, if a little jaded. If your friend has the opportunity to go there, make a nice holiday, go to the black forest or something, Germany has many beautiful places. I got a cheap flight to Munich and drove to his place from there, got quite lost and then almost found the place by accident with no map or GPS or anything. It was fun being lost in the German countryside and I didn't bang my head on the steering wheel once! Then after my time in Souri-world I drove back to Munich for Oktoberfest, drank too much hefe weissbier and realised I'd already forgotten everything and my notes looked like the scrawling of a madman. Yes, in short, everybody has to go to Germany - but I say make it a fun trip anyway so there's no sour grapes if it all goes awry.
thanks you handcut!Hope my friend could be there one day and bring two VR back :P Still looking for a second hand VR :|