1" Lathe Cut Record

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Aussie0zborn

1" Lathe Cut Record

Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:23 pm

The one thing that was missing from this world...

a 1" lathe cut record.

https://quaggacurious.wordpress.com/2017/10/17/gx-jupitter-larsen-zebra-mu-split-1-lathe-cut-pre-order/

tragwag

Re: 1" Lathe Cut Record

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:57 pm

I do a lot of work for Michael Ridge, he's a great guy.
I didn't do this one though!
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Angus McCarthy

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:33 pm

Man, that is tiny!

I was recently musing over whether it was feasible to cut a spiral small enough that it would fit within the dimensions of a regular business card. This has that beat.

Tremdall

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:46 pm

About 15 sec of music?
Hail GX Jupitter Larsen
Once the gargoyle had withdrawn and unlatched his suckers from the topside of Tremdall's agonizing torso, a profound slumber would overtake him, as though from the labor of many days.

MEGAMIKE

Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:41 pm

i can cut smaller if u like...i did a video on how to do it setup to cutting etc but did not post here as i was dissed by a member here on my fb wall for the fact that they were too small to play back on any turntable and "good luck to any whom try to play it back" but thats kool hes way more proffecional than me.but he was right i have no way of playing them back in the vid.but they do playback you just need an extended arm.

as for Mr Ridge ...a real media artist in my opinon..

i will post the video tonite

MEGAMIKE

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:02 pm

michaels not the first i did 1s a few years ago.... ......i had thought for some stupid reason that they were going to be used as buttons on a star wars costume? ..but 100x 1inches lathes both sides 10sec maybe messed with my head hahahahaha

Jesus H Chrysler

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:58 pm

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4592266064972&id=1841782447&set=a.4173743602172.1073741826.1841782447&source=43&refid=56 1 1/2". I had to grind down the spindle so the cutterhead could clear. And they would play on my turntable, just barely.

piaptk

Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:56 am

MEGAMIKE wrote:i can cut smaller if u like...i did a video on how to do it setup to cutting etc but did not post here as i was dissed by a member here on my fb wall for the fact that they were too small to play back on any turntable and "good luck to any whom try to play it back" but thats kool hes way more proffecional than me.but he was right i have no way of playing them back in the vid.but they do playback you just need an extended arm.

as for Mr Ridge ...a real media artist in my opinon..

i will post the video tonite
Don't be so sensitive. It wasn't a diss... just a tongue in cheek statement of fact and gentle joke from someone who tried this a long time ago and had to bang his head against the tiny record playback wall for a long time before getting it worked out.

Inconvenience, unplayability, or ridiculousness never stopped me from making anything either.

But it is physically impossible to play back a record this size on any turntable that I know of (I've tried it on the 9 different turntables I have) due to needle position and groove geometry when you get that close to the center pin.

In order to play that back you have to build out your own turntable specifically for this purpose, because with any standard turntable, when you get that close to the center pin (if you even can with your headshell), the playback needle is ahead of the center pin, and therefore sideways to the groove and won't playback and track. You have to completely build out a new turntable for it. We did it a while back to test our 1.5" records that we made to play on our palm sized phonograph for the White Rabbit Projects show on Netflix.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com