cutting test/burn-in records on a T560

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

asqus

cutting test/burn-in records on a T560

Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:03 am

Hi all,

Random question, but I was wondering: do you think the T560 is capable of cutting decent quality test records? You know, the type that have fixed tones, frequency sweeps, polarity checks, trackability tests, 0db and so on.

I know these records are usually commercially pressed, but I'd love to cut some if they get the task done :-)

markrob

Re: cutting test/burn-in records on a T560

Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:21 am

Hi,

I wouldn't say its impossible, but I I doubt it if you goal is a true calibration standard. Just look what Flo had to go through to get a good pressing of his test record.

Mark

tragwag

Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:19 am

Definitely possible but the results are less than perfect Id say. I have a copy of a Souri test record (just a 1kHz tone at 0dB ref +4dBu), maybe it wasn't stored properly but the pitch is wavery, there's a good amount of surface noise, etc.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

asqus

Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:25 am

Hmm... I should actually have a listen to my Souri test record again - it's probably the best indicator.