Should the board have more sub-forums?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Steve E.
Site Admin

Should the board have more sub-forums?

Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:54 pm

Dear all,

I've always been resistant to creating more sub-sections on the board. Perhaps this suits my own sprawling ADD tendencies, and my resistance to change. The sections that do exist were hard-fought for by various members. I guess one of the things I worry about is giving people anxiety when, inevitably, topics might bridge several possible forums. It can go on forever. I fear as well topics being lost in the shuffle even more than they are.

Now, belatedly, I am reconsidering this a bit, and with no particular pressure or input from anyone.

I wonder, for example, whether there should be distinct sections for the most popular cutting systems: Neumann, Scully, Presto, and Souri's vinyl recorder. (The latter could be expanded to include the other current systems that are developed to the degree of being sold.) . This might decrease search times, and might reduce topic redundancy.

Another reason NOT to would be the need to retroactively reorganize the board for these systems. It could take a long time.

If anyone knows of well-organized boards that do things this way, that I might use as a template, please feel free to link to them in this thread.

markrob

Re: Should the board have more sub-forums?

Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:28 pm

Hi Steve,

I think that what we are missing most is either a good wiki (which never seemed to catch on) or a simple FAQ with answers to the main newbie questions we get over and over. From within the FAQ, there can be links to in depth topics that are relevant. This could be something organic that grows over time as questions get asked. The only issue is how to coordinate the edits to the FAQ. Maybe an FAQ discussion topic should be added to allow a consensus answer to be developed prior to updating the actual FAQ.

Adding a few new sub forums is a good idea, but I can see going down a rabbit hole and ending up with too many. I also think you are correct that going back over so much material would be quite a task.

Just my two cents.

Mark

Steve E.
Site Admin

Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:22 pm

FAQ is a great project idea. If anyone starts a thread on it, alert me and I'll sticky it.

petermontg

Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:11 am

I think the wiki is a great idea. Just a shame it lacks contributions and tends to get overlook.

I think the search function does a pretty comprehensive job when searching for particulars of Presto, Scully and Neumann's.

Best
Peter
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:37 pm

ok! good counter-argument.

Tremdall

Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:20 am

I'll welcome more subsections like you suggest; Neumann, Scully, Presto, and Souri's vinyl recorder.

I personally like the site Muffwiggler (modular synthesizers) which is divided in several sections covering different type of systems. With each system covering several brands.
It also has a marketplace
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/index.php
Once the gargoyle had withdrawn and unlatched his suckers from the topside of Tremdall's agonizing torso, a profound slumber would overtake him, as though from the labor of many days.

tragwag

Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:12 pm

I think in all the current setup is sufficient, any further categorization would help people with specific issues, but decrease the general browsing/connecting interest I think.
Part of what's cool on the forum is using it two ways, when you have an issue you search for it, and if you're just trying to dig in and learn something new, you can browse the "secrets" section. I do 100% think an FAQ (with references), and perhaps a store or link area for tested pieces of random needs (chip tubing, chip jars, heat lamps, stylus heating, turntables, blanks, stylus, etc)
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

ilium

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:16 pm

Tremdall wrote:I'll welcome more subsections like you suggest; Neumann, Scully, Presto, and Souri's vinyl recorder.

I personally like the site Muffwiggler (modular synthesizers) which is divided in several sections covering different type of systems. With each system covering several brands.
It also has a marketplace
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/index.php
I'd vote for a sub for Vanrock/Atom as well. :-)

piaptk

Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:23 pm

I think there should be a splash page before you even get to the forum at all that has intro pages for the various reasons newbies find the site:

1) want to buy a mono lathe
2) want to buy a pro mastering lathe
3) want to start a pressing plant
4) want to get records cut do their bands
Etc

That directs them to a simple and concise, but thorough introduction to these things written by people who know about these things. For example I can contribute to #1 and 4 with tragwag or whoever, as well as some general etiquette to prevent the burlier, more curmudgeonly element of the forum from jumping down their throats with a "use the search function, you idiot!!!"
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

piaptk

Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:34 pm

Subsections for the different generation and categories of lathes and their troubleshooting, etc would be great...

Scully
Neumann
Presto/ROK\RCA/Fairchild, etc mono radio station machines
Van Rock
Vinyl Recorder
General Industries/Wilcox Gay crystal heads

But would take a mod with a lot of spare time on their hands to move things around.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

piaptk

Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:38 pm

Also, having a "Store" section that allowed folks selling items to have their own thread with a link, which could be used for reviews after the fact would be nice.
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

petermontg

Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:21 am

Would a small donation be required to advertise in a "store section" might help with upkeep of the forum?? I could be wrong.
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:43 pm

I'm loving these ideas. Keep em coming.