Off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard in Germany.

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

COAV

Off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard in Germany.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:02 am

Hey I am new to this, but very serious about learning and eventually mastering the art of Lathing. It's a passion now.

I have an offer to go see Souri in Germany, and to train and purchase his Lathes. I keep reading that it's the best new machine around.

Am I making a mistake? Would anyone try to dissuade me? Is there a better option?

Thanks,

COAV

tragwag

Re: Off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard in Germany.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:41 pm

from my knowledge, it's the only one currently available for purchase. if you have an offer to go buy one, I'd put you ahead of many other folks here who've tried to do the same in the past few years with no luck.

that said, the ZEZ cutter and Sillitoe lathes seem like they'll be available soon, and could provide an alternative to relying on the well known Souri system of blank and stylus selling.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

emorritt

Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:36 pm

"Don't mention the war." :lol:

COAV

Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:24 pm

Well too late now, I am headed to Germany in Jan. Thanks for the comments. I am glad to be a part of this forum :)