Palmitic Acid and off-brand discs

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

emorritt

Palmitic Acid and off-brand discs

Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:20 pm

OK, I've been going through my collection which includes a lot of older blanks and I've noticed that only certain older recording discs - never recorded on - are leaching palmitic acid, others are not. Primarily, Allied, Audiodisc and some Reeves Soundcraft are turning white, while Federal, Duodisc, Wilcox-Gay, Tempo-Tone, RecordDisc, Presto and a few other dime store brands are not. Anybody have an explaination for this? Maybe Ron Leeper? It seems strange that some of the major brands are deteriorating and other lesser brands are not; but Presto discs - a major brand, which I think their coating formulation was based on the Pyral lacquer - are not breaking down. I've had most of these blanks for at least 25 - 30 years and when I originally picked them up, all were clean, clear, smooth, etc. (Obviously not fit for cutting because of their age, but interesting artifacts nonetheless.) Anybody have any insight on this?

Thanks!

SueDenim

Re: Palmitic Acid and off-brand discs

Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:42 am

If it looks like grey oily/waxy stuff on the surface, then it's the plasticizer coming out.
This was used in the original formulation of the lacquer to, basically, enable easier/quieter cuts.

It can be cleaned (see below), but I wouldn't try to cut such a blank after you've done this as it'll sound rotten and probably take hours off your cutting stylus!
https://www.nedcc.org/audio-preservation/cleaning-discs

emorritt

Re: Palmitic Acid and off-brand discs

Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:09 pm

Thanks Sue! Yes, I've cleaned discs for transfer/preservation for many years. I'm just interested in what's different between the formulations used for "dime store" blanks (like DuoTone, Wilcox-Gay, Recordisc, etc.) that don't seem to be breaking down and the "pro" products like Audiodisc, Soundcraft, etc. I have quite a number of Presto blanks in all sizes, green seal, black seal, etc. but none of them exhibit the breakdown as well as the dime-store products. I know that the larger manufacturers that served the industry also served the home recording consumers as well and many had a separate production line for "home" blanks, probably with a different formulation of lacquer. Maybe not as much plasticizer since it's not separating from the disc coating??