Arduino / automated cuttinghead

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Tremdall

Arduino / automated cuttinghead

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:21 am

Are there people here who have experience with making an arduino system for dropping down the stylus of a VR?
It seems to me really better than doing it manually xx a day...
Once the gargoyle had withdrawn and unlatched his suckers from the topside of Tremdall's agonizing torso, a profound slumber would overtake him, as though from the labor of many days.

petermontg

Re: Arduino / automated cuttinghead

Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:14 am

Am sure you could set a solenoid with a control voltage to drop the head. You will have to experiment with the timing. or you could use a delay circuit and relay to feed the solenoid... might be an easier option.

Best
Peter
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.

Tremdall

Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:22 pm

petermontg wrote:Am sure you could set a solenoid with a control voltage to drop the head. You will have to experiment with the timing. or you could use a delay circuit and relay to feed the solenoid... might be an easier option.

Best
Peter
Thanks
Sorry, I was not very clear. I don't know anything about Arduino... yet.
Thinking about (trying) learning it.
Would it be difficult for an absolute beginner to build something like this?
Once the gargoyle had withdrawn and unlatched his suckers from the topside of Tremdall's agonizing torso, a profound slumber would overtake him, as though from the labor of many days.

sameal

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:46 am

Im interested in using arduino as well for as complete a cutting computer system as i can get.

I think so far what i gather, and correct me if im wrong, but the arduino mega board is best suited for something like this.

(For just a solenoid lift/drop thing you could probably use any of the arduino boards id imagine.)

I found itsy bitsy 12v solenoids coming out of asia on ebay for pennies. I haven't gotten any prototypes up yet because my cutterhead isn't back yet.