Lathe Cut Camp in the UK?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

e3sa934

Lathe Cut Camp in the UK?

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:42 pm

I've been reading with interest of the Lathe Cut Camps which have been held in the USA over the past couple of years: I'm especially drawn to the description "THIS CAMP FOCUSES ON NEWBIES AND THOSE WITHOUT MACHINES, BUT WHO WANT TO LEARN AND SEE IF INVESTING IN A LATHE IS A GOOD FIT FOR THEM, OR THOSE WHO RECENTLY ACQUIRED A LATHE AND WANT TO LEARN THE SECRETS!"

I'm one of the first set described, wanting to see a T560 or similar in the flesh before committing to purchase. Has anyone in the UK proposed a similar event? I'm based in Sheffield, but would be prepared to travel just about anywhere in the UK for such an event.

Any thoughts from UK board members?

Jon

handcut

Re: Lathe Cut Camp in the UK?

Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:21 pm

Hi,

I'm based in Manchester and before I started lathe cutting, I spent 7 years in a university delivering technical workshops about sound. I held a 3-day disc cutting workshop at a local music venue in April this year, alongside DJ Mr Scruff (see here: https://www.brightersound.com/vinyl-weekender/). It went really well and everybody enjoyed it. I'd be willing to do it again if enough people were interested (around 5 maybe), we could find a suitable venue and costs were covered (the last outing was funded, so free to participants). Feel free to PM me if you wanted to do a one-on-one session.

e3sa934

Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:54 pm

Handcut, thank you so much for offering this! Let's see if there's any more interest for an event... if not, I'd be happy to discuss a one-to-one with you

Jon

iamtasha

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:23 pm

I would be very interested in this!! Currently in the process of trying to purchase a vinylrecorder lathe but would love to have some experience with one prior to travelling to Germany to purchase one.
I have been jealous of the camps being run in the USA too!

Super idea!

Edit: should have mentioned it would be myself and my partner so my vote counts for 2 people!