studio upgrade two VR systems

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

tragwag

studio upgrade two VR systems

Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:54 pm

I've recently put my second T560 into use here at Audio Geography and wanted to share some info about it.
After trying and failing to make a solid chip jar, I decided to use one chip jar for both lathes.
For a while I had a modified aquarium pump running suction for the single lathe, but now with two lathes I went back to the vacuum cleaner for more suction.
One system has a Technics SP10, the other an SP15, both are humming along.
The groove distance or motor LPI between the two lathes is wildly different, I'm still timing sides before cutting on the second lathe while I get used to it.
Manually dropping and doing lead outs for two VRs isn't the easiest thing, but I'm getting the hang of that too.
(cue mike piaptk's war stories of cutting on 10 lathes at once or something :wink: )
running a Samson Servo 600 and a QSC GX5 for power amps

Wondering if anyone else out there is running two VR systems, and how you've managed everything.
Let me know if anyone has any questions for me!
26179795_10156166673926155_1934569634_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com