Lathe Disaster

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

TThomson

Lathe Disaster

Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:10 pm

After spending a ton of money and a ton of time restoring a lathe I had that all ruined due to an unfortunate roommate situation. They thought I did something and decided to take it out on my completely customized Presto.
That being said I'm slowly in the market for new gear if anybody has any leads on any hear for sale.
Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EpicenterBryan

Re: Lathe Disaster

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:18 pm

I still say you need to file a police report. That's the first step in getting her out and a restraining order...

B

grooveguy

Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:12 am

Hey, T. You didn't go into much detail as to what actually happened; is the Presto a complete loss, or are there salvageable parts? Bummer about the roommate taking frustrations out on a really nice and innocent inanimate object, my heart goes out to you. Looks like you were on your way to a really nice rig.

TThomson

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:48 pm

It's all pretty much destroyed. The head was destroyed, amp destroyed and the cutting arm is actually bent out of place. Also my turntable and a master was destroyed. There are very few things salvageable from the mess. I have found a cutter I might be buying that needs a shit ton of work but doesn't have a head.

grooveguy

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:01 pm

Man, that is terrible! Best of luck to you in recovering from this disaster. Let us know if any of us can help. I mean, we can't set you up with a new system, but our thoughts are with you.

powerstrip

Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:51 am

TThomson wrote:It's all pretty much destroyed. The head was destroyed, amp destroyed and the cutting arm is actually bent out of place. Also my turntable and a master was destroyed. There are very few things salvageable from the mess. I have found a cutter I might be buying that needs a shit ton of work but doesn't have a head.
uhm wow. I would react just as violently.

She must be punished for destroying precious American heritage artifacts like this.

There are some dramatic details missing here.

What did you not do?

grooveguy

Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:17 pm

She must be punished for destroying precious American heritage artifacts like this.
I concur wholeheartedly and direct your attention to this eBay listing (and others in the same classification):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/hairbrush-style-wooden-oak-paddle-brand-new/372162314477?hash=item56a69a40ed:g:VwkAAOSwYwJaLDaH

powerstrip

Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:40 am

grooveguy wrote:
I concur wholeheartedly and direct your attention to this eBay listing (and others in the same classification):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/hairbrush-style-wooden-oak-paddle-brand-new/372162314477?hash=item56a69a40ed:g:VwkAAOSwYwJaLDaH
She ain't worthy !!!

I mean, thats never forgive action. But he is missing some juicy details.

I say there was sex involved.

Jeje