VR cutting problem!Help

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

JHL

VR cutting problem!Help

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:58 am

Hi Trolls,
Today i just set up my second hand VR system and try to do my very first cut.
meter shows a good level,tempature on 40 degree,cutterhead on 15g like everyone recommend,when i play the song,i can hear the music goes from cutterhead,it seems everthing is fine.
But when i finish the cutting and play the record,there is no music but only noise here......no any music is cutting in,super weird,it's i doing somthing wrong?
Help :| :( :(

a picture of textcut
微信图片_20180106000239.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JHL

Re: VR cutting problem!Help

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:41 am

update:i turn the amp gain to a very loud level then cut,now i can barely hear the music from grooves,but the noise still very loud cover everthing :cry:

*use QSC 700 amp,have some noise..

SueDenim

Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:29 am

Hi - would like to help.

It'd be good to hear the playback of the test cut in order to understand what the noise is and what might be going on.
I suggest recording it, uploading to SoundCloud and linking to it here.

Speak soon...

JHL

Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:51 am

SueDenim wrote:Hi - would like to help.

It'd be good to hear the playback of the test cut in order to understand what the noise is and what might be going on.
I suggest recording it, uploading to SoundCloud and linking to it here.

Speak soon...
Hey SueDenim,really thanks for your help in advance,here is the SoundCloud link:https://soundcloud.com/euh6m6osy6ei/vr-test-cut
not only noise but also out of tune..
My chain:Computer-main unit-meter-amp-cutterhead

SueDenim

Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:01 pm

Whoa! :shock: that is a bit messed up - let's see now...

OK, let's begin with the simple stuff:

1. If you make a cut without ANY audio going to the head and with your power amp OFF (called an unmodulated groove), what does it sound like?
i.e. Do you still have all the same sounding hiss/distortion even in, what should be, a silent groove?

2. When you are making a cut, is the swarf coming off the cutting stylus cleanly and being sucked away ok?
2.1. If there is very little swarf or none at all, confirm that you have the cutting stylus orientated in the right direction.

3. The wow ('out of tune' as you call it) is most likely being caused by a combination of cutting too deeply and your turntable not supplying enough torque to be able to do so.
Try lightening the cutting weight by a few grams.

Hope this helps a little :wink:

JHL

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:11 pm

SueDenim wrote:Whoa! :shock: that is a bit messed up - let's see now...

OK, let's begin with the simple stuff:

1. If you make a cut without ANY audio going to the head and with your power amp OFF (called an unmodulated groove), what does it sound like?
i.e. Do you still have all the same sounding hiss/distortion even in, what should be, a silent groove?

2. When you are making a cut, is the swarf coming off the cutting stylus cleanly and being sucked away ok?
2.1. If there is very little swarf or none at all, confirm that you have the cutting stylus orientated in the right direction.

3. The wow ('out of tune' as you call it) is most likely being caused by a combination of cutting too deeply and your turntable not supplying enough torque to be able to do so.
Try lightening the cutting weight by a few grams.

Hope this helps a little :wink:

Thanks so much for your help!
1.cut without any audio like your advice,here is two link(amp on and amp off),both are not silent grooves
amp off:https://soundcloud.com/euh6m6osy6ei/vr-testcut-no-audioamp-off
amp on:https://soundcloud.com/euh6m6osy6ei/vr-testcut-no-audio
2.none at all,suction works great, a little bit loud
3.my turntable is 1200 mk3d,maybe it didnt have enough torque?anyway,i lightening the cutting weight

SueDenim

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:33 pm

2.none at all
Are you saying that there is NO swarf coming from the cutting stylus when you cut?
There should be a very thin thread of material between the cutting stylus point and the suction tube - it can sometimes be tricky to see depending on the light!

If there is definitely no swarf when you cut, then you've probably got the cutting stylus in the wrong way around.

JHL

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:12 pm

SueDenim wrote:
2.none at all
Are you saying that there is NO swarf coming from the cutting stylus when you cut?
There should be a very thin thread of material between the cutting stylus point and the suction tube - it can sometimes be tricky to see depending on the light!

If there is definitely no swarf when you cut, then you've probably got the cutting stylus in the wrong way around.
oh no sorry ,what i mean is suction works fine,all the swarf is being sucked away

JHL

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:22 am

Update:after lightening the cutting weight and change the stylus angle,noise less than before and sound smooth than before,but still very loud :(
微信图片_20180109222434.jpg
微信图片_20180109222440.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

petermontg

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:44 am

Is your stylus been heated??

Best
Peter
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.

handcut

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:51 pm

It looks like you have no oil in your dashpot- DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!! The plastic cylinder inside that springy thing the cutterhead is attached to - it should be full of oil. That will cause you all kinds of problems, including noise.

handcut

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:54 pm

Also, I strongly recommend getting rid of the felt mat from your turntable and switching to the thin rubber one that you should have.

JHL

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:48 pm

petermontg wrote:Is your stylus been heated??

Best
Peter
yes, around 15

JHL

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:49 pm

handcut wrote:It looks like you have no oil in your dashpot- DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!! The plastic cylinder inside that springy thing the cutterhead is attached to - it should be full of oil. That will cause you all kinds of problems, including noise.
oh,i have not notice that,is food oil ok?thanks so much for your help

JHL

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:53 pm

handcut wrote:Also, I strongly recommend getting rid of the felt mat from your turntable and switching to the thin rubber one that you should have.
sorry i have no idea which is the thin rubber one? :?

handcut

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:52 am

No, don't use food oil. Use mineral oil.

When you buy a VR new from Souri, it comes with a thin rubber mat for the platter. I guess you could make one easy enough.

The Shank

Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:36 pm

JHL wrote: food oil ok?
FA.BU.LOUS.
http://www.myshank.com

* Diamond cutting stylus officials/prototypes
* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

Tremdall

Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:26 pm

I suggest get a decent training first. You can't learn anything this way. The VR works great when all parameters are correct and even then it needs to be fine tuned. What you're doing makes no sense.
Once the gargoyle had withdrawn and unlatched his suckers from the topside of Tremdall's agonizing torso, a profound slumber would overtake him, as though from the labor of many days.

JHL

Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:43 am

handcut wrote:No, don't use food oil. Use mineral oil.

When you buy a VR new from Souri, it comes with a thin rubber mat for the platter. I guess you could make one easy enough.
Hey really thanks again for your help,i already bought a bottle mineral oil and full it .i change the mat to the rubber one too,and i do a textcut,still lots of noise :?
sounds like:https://soundcloud.com/euh6m6osy6ei/vr-textcut20180116
微信图片_20180116192129.jpg

JHL

Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:48 am

Tremdall wrote:I suggest get a decent training first. You can't learn anything this way. The VR works great when all parameters are correct and even then it needs to be fine tuned. What you're doing makes no sense.
yes,i understand.but i am a second hand buyer so i guess i wouldnt have any help from Souri :(
i know it's hard to cut a decent record for newbie like me,but i am working on it ,try to learn and adjust everything from the youtube video and forum :(