where to get black poly blanks

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

fredbissnette

where to get black poly blanks

Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:36 am

where can i get black polycarbonate/lexan/makrolon ready made 7'' or 10'' round blanks for embossing in canada/usa

i have been making my own out of 12'' clear squares but im making more money now and im tired of cutting these myself and i want black records and so do my clients

cheers

fred
Instagram @styluspressurerecords

ilium

Re: where to get black poly blanks

Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:41 pm

fredbissnette wrote:where can i get black polycarbonate/lexan/makrolon ready made 7'' or 10'' round blanks for embossing in canada/usa

i have been making my own out of 12'' clear squares but im making more money now and im tired of cutting these myself and i want black records and so do my clients

cheers

fred
http://recordblanks.com/

lofiaudio

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:56 pm

Hate to say I did not have any luck with Recordblanks product for embossing. I'm sure they are great for cutting w/ diamond as recommended but surface noise makes it unusable compared to pc for embossing using steel cones. I'd love some black or other color poly blanks too so hopefully somebody knows a place to source.

The Shank

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:35 am

lofiaudio wrote:Hate to say I did not have any luck with Recordblanks product for embossing. I'm sure they are great for cutting w/ diamond as recommended
Definitely not!!! It breaks diamonds. Shitty product.
http://www.myshank.com

* Diamond cutting stylus officials/prototypes
* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

socialroots

Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:10 pm

The Shank wrote:
lofiaudio wrote:Hate to say I did not have any luck with Recordblanks product for embossing. I'm sure they are great for cutting w/ diamond as recommended
Really! If I remember right, I think the recordblanks guys CLAIMED that it was softer than the MYSHANK blanks and results with embossing was good! This post was awhile back, but I asked for any feedback of from anyone who has tried these pvc blanks but never got any response from anyone, well good to know now.
Anyways, I buy the black myshank blanks for cutting with diamond(also myshank) but I have also embossed on them with tungsten cones befor(farmer john) and have gotten good results , as long as you dont go too deep, if you go too deep , then it starts to get more noisy.
In Taiwan , they have extruded pc film that come in thickness of 0.5mm and it comes in black, translucent blue, translucent orange, and clear. Its made for visors, sun glasses ect.., well the best results for embossing audio was the clear pc, blue &orange not bad, the worst was the black.
Im guessing what ever is added to make the colored pc changes its qualities for embossing audio, which is not what its manufactured for in the first place.
My 2cents is if you want the record black cuz it looks more like a "real" record, why not go for better sound quality as well and cut instead of embossing? I know embossing is cheaper than cutting with diamond stylis, but you get what you pay for. I like both embossing and cutting, but ifthey both were the same bang for the buck, I would choose cutting over embossing!

Maximum respect,
Patrick

fredbissnette

Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:37 pm

forget i even asked

lol
Instagram @styluspressurerecords

The Shank

Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:57 am

socialroots wrote:
The Shank wrote:
Really! If I remember right, I think the recordblanks guys CLAIMED that it was softer than the MYSHANK blanks and results with embossing was good! This post was awhile back, but I asked for any feedback of from anyone who has tried these pvc blanks but never got any response from anyone, well good to know now.
Anyways, I buy the black myshank blanks for cutting with diamond(also myshank) but I have also embossed on them with tungsten cones befor(farmer john) and have gotten good results , as long as you dont go too deep, if you go too deep , then it starts to get more noisy.
In Taiwan , they have extruded pc film that come in thickness of 0.5mm and it comes in black, translucent blue, translucent orange, and clear. Its made for visors, sun glasses ect.., well the best results for embossing audio was the clear pc, blue &orange not bad, the worst was the black.
Im guessing what ever is added to make the colored pc changes its qualities for embossing audio, which is not what its manufactured for in the first place.
My 2cents is if you want the record black cuz it looks more like a "real" record, why not go for better sound quality as well and cut instead of embossing? I know embossing is cheaper than cutting with diamond stylis, but you get what you pay for. I like both embossing and cutting, but ifthey both were the same bang for the buck, I would choose cutting over embossing!

Maximum respect,
Patrick
People try, and then people send the stylus for a resharpening… after few minutes of cut.

* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

socialroots

Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:27 am

fredbissnette wrote:forget i even asked

lol
Hey Fred,why dont you ask PIAPTK at lathecuts.com, for embossing on PC im sure he has been dedicated to the art long enuff to know about getting black PC. I think i had read in old posts in past years that Todd from Deepgrooves mastering had a source for black PC as well. If you really want it,you should be able to source some,and give it to try,you never really know till you try it! If you do, by all means im interested to know how it worked for you.

Maximum respect,
Patrick

piaptk

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:46 am

blck polycarbonate is available from most large plastic chains (Port, Tap, Calsak, Piedmont, etc). But a lot of time they have to get it shipped in from one of their warehouse jobs because they don't stock it in local locations. But then you have to get it CNC'ed into circles, which is expensive unless you are doing a lot of them or have the hookup at a place.

If I were you, I would just buy them from Myshank. I know international shipping is no fun, but they will save you time and money in the end and they work well with both cutting with diamond and embossing.

Mike
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

descent

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:33 pm

Hello, I understand that here some sellers try all the time to promote their products. That's ok but it's tragic to read aggressive comments again and again.
Whatever...
I have tried all the PVC blanks out there.
"recordblanks.com" have the best sound, the material looks close to the real pressed records but the setup on cutting is more difficult than the other blanks.
These blanks are black hard PVC, they don't have transparent layer. You can see the same contrast on the grooves like the pressed records.
The transparent thin layer is very sensitive on touch and the playback life of the grooves is short. This is the truth, all we know it.
More, the layer brings a strange contrast, it's easy to see that. Looks maybe closer to the PIC disc records.
About the "recordblanks.com"... Try to cut them on 50 celsius with 12gr stylus weight and you will cut many records without any problem.
Sure it's true the life of your stylus is shorter -40%/-50%, but if you want a harder record not so sensitive with longer life, nice total black view, then these blanks are a good choice. It all depends on what you want to do.
More, the "recordblanks.com" needs to be manufactured in a better way, the edge of the records are rough.

All these products out there have bad and good characteristics. Perfect are only the pressed records.

Now I am waiting to read ironic comments and more sucking following after that? Come on guys, no reason to hate or support anyone, just saying opinions and experiences on cutting.

The Shank

Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:20 am

I’m totally assuming my words. I’ve tried them. It’s shitty. 12g of pressure to get a surface groove... shitty again.
And it’s not aggressive... I’m not talking about the guy I don’t know, just the products.
All plastic can have the best sound... if you have the right stylus with the geometry. But some plastic can break a stylus
In 10minutes, some in 10 hours... this is where is the challenge really.

* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

symatic

Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:43 am

I've been embossing on Polycarbonate blanks using PIAPTK sapphire embossing stylus and Presto 5C head.

The results I'm getting are starting to sound OK, before was lots of problems.

I also tried MyShank PVC blanks but always got lots of noise - wooshhhh type noise. It's strange becasue both PIAPT and MySHank thought this combination would work fine.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong though.

I am having most success with 30g weight, which seems like it's a lot.

Black poly I can't find yet.....

piaptk

Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:26 pm

I sell black, white, and clear Makrolon polycarbonate blanks for embossing through www.recordlatheparts.com.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

symatic

Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:37 am

oops sorry I meant I haven't found em closer to home, except 3mm ones... but I might actually buy some more from PIAPTK anyway because they worked very well. in fact my very first cut with one came out suprisingly well, then i touched something and tooka ages to get a better cut haha.

I really like the ones that came cut out like a 45 with a big hole. My particular 45 adapters are tight enough on the spindle of the lathe to keep the disc in place during cutting. and the result is really cool looking.