Hoover Overheating

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

iamtasha

Hoover Overheating

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:53 am

The pump style vacuum provide with the vinylrecorder seems to be hit and miss as sucking so I purchased a low decibel Electrolux zen thinking I was being clever.

Seemed to work ok for a couple of discs but overheats when used for more than 1 12 inch at a time.

Has anyone found a fairly quiet hoover that won’t overheated after 20minutes cutting?

Thanks!

handcut

Re: Hoover Overheating

Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:22 am

You need a wet & dry type vacuum, but they are noisy as hell. You really need to put them in another room. I tried building an acostically treated box with all kinds of fancy exhaust channels and all that but was still burning them out every year or two. Then I got a Reitschle VTE-8 (I believe the 3 & 5 models also work) and have never looked back. They pop up on eBay every now and then for cheap - astronomical new. Good luck - swarf removal is one of the main bugbears of cutting.

tragwag

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:06 am

I bought the cheapest Eureka vacuum at home depot ($50) and have been running it with a variac around 70% power for 3+ years now, never had an issue.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Gridlock

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:26 am

I literally stand there with a pair of tweezers and a magnifying glass-screw the vacuum- and generally brush towards center and pick with tweezers if the swarf starts to bunch on the needle - sometimes I even grab the swarf thread and pull it away like rolling yarn!. IT HELPS IF YOU HAVE YOUR WHOLE SETUP IN SOME SORT OF FARRADAY CAGE AND WEAR RUBBER SOLED SHOES. (sorry for the caps lock, that's supposed to be me yelling over a shop vac) needle angle - it seems everybody finds their own sweet spot, just avoid the "no-no"s and you'll be okay (too much weight, too harsh an updraft, etc. I'm gonna make a video sometime showing you guys all this because I know a few of you out there think I'm full of beans!
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

iamtasha

Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:23 am

Thanks for all the advice, I’ll keep an eye out for a Reitschle.

In the mean time I have adjusted the needle a miniscule amount and now it seems to be coping a lot better the majority of the time - like you said Gridlock- I’ve still gotta find my sweet spot!

Thanks!

davorvenom

Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:27 pm

Hi, i have tipical house vacume cleaner that was overheating and i solved problem by adding little tube between VR vacume tube and cleaner tube. I took plumming plastic tube diameter that suits vacume tube and added 3 holes in the line. It only needed two holes so i pushed it inside cleaners tube to cover it.
The purpose of this is to add more suction space so the vacume cleaner motor will get enough air not to overheat. Set the paste of cleaner just enough as it needs to pick up the cutted vynil. More thrust is not needed and will overheat the motor. Ill send pictures if u like. Cheers

iamtasha

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:22 pm

thanks davorvenom - i hadn't even considered the lack of air actually making it to the vacuum cleaner! I shall give it a go and let you know how I get on. Volume wise it will be much better if I can use the household one