Hey i'm a music producer and would like to pay some of you

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

davidvinyl

Hey i'm a music producer and would like to pay some of you

Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:07 am

Hey i'm a music producer and i would like to pay some of you to put some of my in progress music to lathe and send it back to me as .wav files. I want an old school record sound. What i'm going for is the music i send you, i want it to sound like a 60's or 70's record. Relatively lo fi, etc. I don't want one exact sound. I'd like to hear what a wide variety of you could provide and then i could pick my favorites and work with you consistently. I'd like the turn around time to be 1 to 2 days. Please private message me if you're able to do this and are interested. Thanks!!

Radardoug

Re: Hey i'm a music producer and would like to pay some of y

Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:01 pm

Hmm, sounds like you want it for free! Where are you? Is there not a record cutter in your area? Or have you already talked to him?

davidvinyl

Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:57 pm

Nope dont want it for free. Dont want to restrict myself to local. Files will b transfered over email. People wont need to ship me anything and i won’t need to ship them anything.

sameal

Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:19 pm

I feel like there's a way to get the sound your after without scrapping a bunch of blanks for it.

Unless you want the vinyl too.

fredbissnette

Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:04 am

reason has a wonderful patch for this
Instagram @styluspressurerecords

sat159p1

Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:01 am

there is a free plugin called Vinyl (just needs a registration). You have presets for 50, 60s,70s,80s sound + you can add random noise, hiss, crackle, distortions. etc. I think this is simpler... but if you wanna go full analog, find someone with Presto or similar.

tragwag

Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:03 pm

I'd be interested, send me an email:
http://audiogeography.com/contact
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

tubefan

Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:30 am

I guess you may want the sound of lo-fi playback? Many 1960s and 1970s vinyl recordings are among the highest quality recordings ever made. Amazing musicians, engineers, equipment, and songwriting. Most of the stereotypical sound is from lousy playback...

jesusfwrl

Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:39 am

... and when the one in a million occasion arises where someone is actually eager to pay for something in the world of audio/music, everybody tells him to use a free plugin instead!

*walks away mumbling to himself about the state of the world and these young people nowadays*
~~~ Precision Mechanical Engineering, Analog Disk Mastering ~~~
Agnew Analog Reference Instruments: http://www.agnewanalog.com

lofiaudio

Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:38 pm

jesusfwrl wrote:... and when the one in a million occasion arises where someone is actually eager to pay for something in the world of audio/music, everybody tells him to use a free plugin instead
Incredible, right! My thoughts exactly. I also produce music and 'experiments' like this in production are a lot of fun and can help move the creative process along. I'd be more than willing to cut some on my tube or solid state mono 1950's Rek-o-kuts! Love the idea actually, I've definitely bounced multiple projects to different types of tape recorder for the sound, so why not!?

SONARC

Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:10 pm

I have to agree with these comments. I got into this because I wanted to put out my own music, and eventually release some others' music as well, and it seems to be impossible to actually get pressed vinyl if you only want a small run. That was the case when I was in my 20s, and it doesn't seem to have changed now that I'm 60. I've tried to get other people to release my music, but evidently, no one was interested, so I had to figure out how to do it all myself, even if it means a smaller audience. Honestly, the whole business of music is so overblown anyway, I rarely feel any passion or art in most of what I hear these days. To my way of thinking, a small audience that digs something is worth a lot more than a huge audience that just follows the trends.

I have a tendency to record a lot of really densely-layered music with a lot of odd combinations of instrumentation and ridiculous production techniques using old analogue gear, and there's no way it's going to sound vintage, like from the 30s or 40s. That said, I really dig the fact that every lathe record I emboss on my humble little K-8 is a unique sounding artifact, as though I'm playing an old 78 that happens to have some futuristic sci-fi weirdness on it, and the juxtaposition of those elements kind of plays with your senses a bit. At least, that's what I get out of it.

Basically, I'm working off my own interpretation of a premise that PIAPTK has stated in the past, something to the effect of these artifacts being art in their own right, that also happen to be something you can play on a turntable.

Sure, I could record stuff a lot faster, more efficiently, and much more pristine-sounding, if I just wanted to crank out a bunch of CDRs from a computer, but I've been there and done that, and all it did is make me want to push the mediums further out there. In my case, that meant going *back*, and doing more by hand. So it's not an exact science; who cares?

Personally, I think what the OP proposed is as interesting as anything anyone else might come up with, and the fact that they're willing to pay for an artistic experiment like that puts them heads and tails above many artists and so-called fans I've talked with, who seem to think everything should just be free these days.
lofiaudio wrote:
jesusfwrl wrote:... and when the one in a million occasion arises where someone is actually eager to pay for something in the world of audio/music, everybody tells him to use a free plugin instead
Incredible, right! My thoughts exactly. I also produce music and 'experiments' like this in production are a lot of fun and can help move the creative process along. I'd be more than willing to cut some on my tube or solid state mono 1950's Rek-o-kuts! Love the idea actually, I've definitely bounced multiple projects to different types of tape recorder for the sound, so why not!?