Lathe Cut Camp 7: mar 3-5, 2018, Tucson, AZ

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

piaptk

Lathe Cut Camp 7: mar 3-5, 2018, Tucson, AZ

Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:10 pm

http://Www.lathecutcamp.com

(THIS CAMP FOCUSES ON NEWBIES AND THOSE WITHOUT MACHINES, BUT WHO WANT TO LEARN AND SEE IF INVESTING IN A LATHE IS A GOOD FIT FOR THEM, OR THOSE WHO RECENTLY ACQUIRED A LATHE AND WANT TO LEARN THE SECRETS!)

YOU ALSO GET TO CUT YOUR OWN RECORDS AND TAKE THEM WITH YOU!

March 3,4,5th, 2017 (Sat March3 and Sunday March 4th are the most important days, the 5th is just additional practice and cutting of attendees records, in case you have to leave early)

Spend three days in scenic Tucson, AZ learning (almost) everything you need to know about DIY Record Cutting! The focus of this camp will be on mono "semi-professional" machines, with particular focus on Presto 6Ns, which are one of the most common and affordable vintage machines around. You can do some amazing things with these incredible machines, and I will show you how. Bring your own music and we will put it onto discs for you to take home. We will touch on professional record mastering/pressing, but my main interest and experience, and the focus of this camp, will be on the more DIY and experimental side of the hobby. There are only 7 spots available, so buy early because every previous camp has sold out!

Perfect if you are interested in:
Vinyl records and how their masters are cut
Learning how this strange black art works
Buying a lathe to make your own records
Ordering lathe cuts from a lathe cut service
Cutting your own music to disc

Topics covered:
The science behind vinyl record cutting
Lathe Operations and equipment
The pressing process
Lacquer dub plate cutting
Experimental and alternative materials (plexiglass, laserdiscs, picnic plates, etc)

Please Note: You are responsible for your own transportation to/from Tucson and your accommodations. However, the hotels here are pretty damn cheap (DO NOT book a hotel on Oracle Rd unless you enjoy the company of tweekers and ladies of the night)

About the Presenter: For more info on me, please visit the About page of this site.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Gridlock

Re: Lathe Cut Camp 7: mar 3-5, 2018, Tucson, AZ

Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:40 pm

Oracle road it Is! Thanks for the heads up Mike! It can be so hard to find some good company and a fat sack in a new town!
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

piaptk

Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:14 pm

Yeah. Oracle and Drachman is your zone. I recommend The No-Tel Motel on Oracle.

Here is review of it in the local paper.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tucsonweekly.com/tucson/my-stay-at-the-no-tel-motel/Content%3Foid%3D1074415%26media%3DAMP%2BHTML
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

SONARC

Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:14 pm

^^^^ Yeah, but you for got to mention God's bar, The Meet Rack...! :shock:

Shoot, If I knew Gridlock was gonna be in Tucson, I might've made another trip down there.... been meaning to connect with him, but things keep getting in the way. Guess I'll just have to drop down to Eugene sometime.

piaptk

Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:56 pm

I didn't forget to mention The Meet Rack. I intentionally neglected to mention it.
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

soeffingodly

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:52 pm

Shame I was prepping for Thailand when this went down. Maybe the next one!
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."