320 style embossing cones?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Jccc

320 style embossing cones?

Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:50 pm

has anyone made a 320 style shank for embossing?

piaptk

Re: 320 style embossing cones?

Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:41 pm

Send me some dead ones and I'll get some made for you.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

socialroots

Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:44 pm

Tenshun,been testing out some of PIAPTK sapphire cone as of late,took me about 6 cuts to fine tune my weight n angle settings on my lathe, once i got there,the results were very pleasing to my ears. I,ve embossed to pc before with the tungsten cones ,which i thought was pretty good already,but with the sapphire cones my tunes got some extra brightness to the sound n the grooves looks cleaner with less horns,more consistent tracking on playback. You should go ahead and give a new life to your worn out sapphires,i think its a great way to repurpose dead stylis.
This has got me thinking about how well would diamond work as embossing cones?
Maximum respect,
Patrick
P.s Teshun,when you gonna do an Asian tour?

piaptk

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:39 am

Diamond doesn't work for embossing cones for some reason. I know because I accidentally put a diamond stylus in with the stack of sapphires. Rich sharpened it, but it sounded awful.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

socialroots

Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:06 am

Mike,thanks again for hooking me up. Wonder why diamonds dont work as cones for embossing? Maybe Steven has got some insight on this and probably doesnt have diamond emossing cones as one of his stylis for sale cuz he probably came to the same conclusion.
Maximum respect,
Patrick

tragwag

Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:33 pm

not to derail but I had luck before with a regularly faced diamond stylus, using it like a backwards sapphire.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Jccc

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:19 pm

I will try out a old sapphire needle backwards technique and see if i can get good results.

I have been having really good results with the tungsten cones on my fairchild head so i was thinking if i could modify the tungsten cone to somehow mount on a cutting head (Neumann mono head) with a 320 stylus holder i will have even better frequency response.

socialroots

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:43 pm

tragwag wrote:not to derail but I had luck before with a regularly faced diamond stylus, using it like a backwards sapphire.
greetings Tyler,just wondering when you used the diamond to emboss,was the tip worn down or was it stil in good cutting condition? I tried with my 1st diamond,but the groove was looking like a mix of embossing and slight cutting,even some very fine material was being removed.this was with the myshank blanks,didnt try pc cuz the styli was still very new and didnt want to chance ruining it prematurely. Lean back?
Maximum respect,
Patrick

piaptk

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:17 pm

If you've been getting good results with tungsten, you will love the sapphire embossers. The stone seems to take a better point and the aluminum shank allows more of the High End to reach the tip, where as the dense tungsten kills a lot of vibration on the way down. Sapphires have a lot more clarity in the high end.
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

jjwharris

Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:46 am

What's the frequency drop off point for your sapphires piaptk?

With tungsten I'm finding its quite a drastic drop from 10khz on polycarb., Im curious as to if its the polycarb or the tungsten cone.
Record Lathe Embossing Supplies - http://www.supplies.johnnyelectric.co.nz/

tragwag

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:39 pm

socialroots wrote:
tragwag wrote:not to derail but I had luck before with a regularly faced diamond stylus, using it like a backwards sapphire.
greetings Tyler,just wondering when you used the diamond to emboss,was the tip worn down or was it stil in good cutting condition? I tried with my 1st diamond,but the groove was looking like a mix of embossing and slight cutting,even some very fine material was being removed.this was with the myshank blanks,didnt try pc cuz the styli was still very new and didnt want to chance ruining it prematurely. Lean back?
Maximum respect,
Patrick
yeah! I was leaning back a whole lot, as much as the 6N would let me.
jjwharris wrote:What's the frequency drop off point for your sapphires piaptk?

With tungsten I'm finding its quite a drastic drop from 10khz on polycarb., Im curious as to if its the polycarb or the tungsten cone.
In my limited experience with the cones, it was the tungsten causing the dropoff, I had fine success with the same settings/different stylus on polycarb
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

jjwharris

Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:15 pm

Right, I'm gonna try some aluminium cones, I'm hoping they will last at least long enough for a quick sweep

jjwharris

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:03 am

aluminium cones, ground to a 90 degree point - seem to work as well as tungsten.

I ended up asking someone to make a glass embossing cone, will be interesting to see how that turns out.

jjwharris

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:03 am

After playing around with it a bit, I think it could be a bit better than tungsten, the wear on the tip is going to be the issue.

It did raise my resonant frequency a bit, which no doubt helps.