my vacuum pump really sucks

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

okpanda

my vacuum pump really sucks

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:59 pm

i got this really expensive vacuum pump from souri because i thought it might be quieter and suck harder than my little shop vac but the darn thing overheats and shuts off after like six sides. i tried using a larger suction tube for more airflow and putting the pump on the concrete floor to act as a heatsink, but nothing seems to help. any idea what i might be doing wrong? a friend suggested it might be running at the wrong voltage since it was built in europe, but it has a us plug....not sure what brand it is or anything since i don't even remember it coming in a box, i seem to recall it just being wrapped in bubble wrap or something. anyway, just going back to the shop vac in the meantime, but i'd sure like to get this thing working correctly. any advice?

markrob

Re: my vacuum pump really sucks

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:46 am

Hi,

If it has a universal motor (most cheapy vac's do). You can slow it down with a Variac. Also, check out solid state controls like this:

https://www.amazon.com/VenTech-VT-SPD-CTRL-Variable-Controller/dp/B00EVYGPJQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1518191061&sr=1-1&keywords=universal+motor+speed+control

Mark

tragwag

Re: my vacuum pump really sucks

Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:37 pm

ah sorry to hear that. I use a Variac (set between 75-90) with a regular hoover vacuum, it was $50 or something from home depot. it hasn't overheated despite being covered in foam and moving blankets and running consistently for about 3 years now.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com