New: Phonocut Desktop Disc Cutter

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

JHL

New: Phonocut Desktop Disc Cutter

Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:44 am

微信图片_20191011214016.jpg
described as a 10inch home vinyl recorder, plug in and play, sounds like a modern version of Vanrock
when i first time saw the photo think that's not so seriously,until i noticed flo on the team

more details:https://phonocut.com/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Re: phonocut?

Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:42 am

This looks to be a big deal.

https://www.wired.com/story/phonocut/

BOONE ASHWORTHGEAR10.10.2019 09:00 AM

Cut Your Own Vinyl Records With This $1,100 Machine

The Phonocut is an at-home vinyl lathe, allowing anyone with a digital audio file and a dream to make a 10-inch record.

Better clear out several shelves of storage space, vinylheads, because your record collection is about to expand into infinity. Soon, you’ll be able to get absolutely anything on vinyl. Even better—you’ll be able to make it.

The Phonocut is an analog vinyl lathe, the first consumer device capable of making custom records immediately, right there in your home (assuming you’re willing to pay $1,100 for the privilege).

The device cuts 10-inch vinyl records, which can hold about 10 to 15 minutes of audio on each side. It’s a connected device; a companion app helps with formatting and song arrangement to better fit your music onto the two sides. But at its core, the Phonocut was designed for simplicity. All you have to do is plug in an audio cable, like from a headphone jack, and press Play.

“It has to be idiot-proof,” says Florian “Doc” Kaps, an Austrian analog enthusiast and Phonocut cofounder. “Even I myself should be in a position to cut the records.”

The machine works in real time. As the music plays, a diamond stylus etches the sound wave straight into the surface of the vinyl. Theoretically, you could put any audio you want on there—a custom playlist, your own embarrassing electronica experiments, whale sounds—whatever. After a half hour of playback, you have a physical saucer of sound ready to pick up, hold, and toss on a turntable.

Kaps, who has a fascination with the ways that analog technologies engage the senses, dreamed up the machine with his business partners.

“Digital has a big problem, you know—it's not real,” Kaps says. “You can very easily access it, but you only can see it, or you can hear it. You never can lick it, you cannot smell it, and you can't touch it. We human beings do have these five senses. And at the end of the day, we need all these five senses to fall in love, to feel happy, to build trust.”

The resurgence of vinyl records in the past decade has once again made the sonic frisbees a viable medium of music. Third Man Records, Jack White’s label, has been cutting live studio performances to acetate for years. Other small presses are popping up to fuel the demand for vinyl product from independent artists. But if the Phonocut can live up to the great expectations it’s setting for itself, it could usher in a whole new era of the vinyl experience.

“People love records, but they don’t know anything about how they are produced,” Kaps says. “We have to inspire them to think about it and raise their awareness for the possibilities of what they can do with it.”

2bitcomputer

Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:50 pm

Uh Oh ?

MikeyV

Flo's new Project

Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:43 am

https://phonocut.com/

Questions?? Their FAQ page is interesting, but I have questions.

aaron

Re: Flo's new Project

Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:32 pm

Damn, that looks awesome

Gus

Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:38 pm

This is the end of short run business.

The Shank

Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:57 pm

Gus wrote:This is the end of short run business.
Haha!
http://www.myshank.com

* Diamond cutting stylus officials/prototypes
* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

Jesus H Chrysler

Re: New: Phonocut Desktop Disc Cutter

Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:02 pm

If anything, this might bring down the prices of our old prestos

Jesus H Chrysler

Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:05 pm

". You never can lick it,"
Can't say I have, but whatever, you do you.

Gus

Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:30 pm

Jesus H Chrysler wrote:If anything, this might bring down the prices of our old prestos
That's for sure, in the near future will you see a lot vinyl recorders for a first time listed on eBay. But nothing can beat an original Moog model D (behringer,etc).
Don't forget is one button & one jack line record lathe, but enough for indie bands, dj's & small record labels.

Jccc

Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:28 pm

I am wondering if this thing can emboss? Or will it just cut pvc like the my shank blanks as I read it will use a diamond stylus.

The reason why I would like embossing is because I can get polycarbonate locally and just get the tungsten off Ebay. Way cheaper then paying $200 something for diamonds

I guess we will see when more details will pop up.

I hope with the production of this we will see more cutting heads & lathes for sale

JHL

Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:35 pm

can not cut 12inch for now,and phonocut blank cost 10EUR each,so VR can survival for a while from this earthquake :D

Oldskoolhousehead

Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:53 am

I have been considering djing as a career, and cutting my own records would be great. I could press my own compilations. However I don’t want to face legal issues.

socialroots

Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:28 am

Looks like a crappy american style drip coffee machine,at that target price,im guessing its gonna be made in china ? Cant wait fe the prestos n other vintage lathes to come up for sale at much lower costs than what i can afford. For someone like me that loves mono vintage good fi it could be the best thing to happen !
Max respect,
Patrick

Aussie0zborn

Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:51 am

Oldskoolhousehead wrote: ...I could press my own compilations. However I don’t want to face legal issues.
You'll have as many legal issues as when you burned CDs.
BTW: this won't press anything. Cutting only, one by one, in real time.

Oldskoolhousehead

Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:49 am

My mistake. Of course I know it doesn’t press records. If I ever have one I’m going to cut my favorite tracks to disc (one-off copies). Only after that I’m going to approach to record labels for public performance licenses.

PlasticParty

Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:45 am

Is anyone with the know how able to comment on wether this lathe is actually a realistic idea? It just looks to simple to be true.

If it does actually do what is says it will then I will definitely back this. I DJ vinyl and something like this would be a game changer for me. The only concern I have is wow and flutter as I imagine the platter isn’t very heavy

HannesFTL

Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:25 pm

Just like a cd burner isn't enough to get tracks sounding great on CD, I really doubt this thing can do the magic it promises.
In my experience good cuts come from good (mastering) engineers. This one size fits all might be enough for some, but doubt it will be for me.
Worst case it will flood the market with sh*t sounding records.

For the DJ's: just buy the vinyl release. For your own music or tracks you get send by friends, find the best dubplate cutter you can find. He or she will make the tracks sound competing. No need for messing around yourself.

PlasticParty

Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:13 pm

Thank you for the reply. I am also skeptical about the auto mastering for vinyl. I think it would be better if they had an advanced option where you could see what’s going on and make the required adjustments.

But from a mechanical stand point is a unit of this size and simplicity capable of actually producing anything decenT?

PlasticParty

Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:31 pm

If this is legit I am wondering if I can use a heated lamp to be able to cut to PVC blanks instead of their proprietary $10 each blanks. They are possibly softer as there doesn’t appear to be a heater on the unit. Once the details are out we will know more.

Has anybody experience buying blanks from here? http://recordblanks.com/product/10-record-blank/