Record Pressing Plant Start up Costs

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

untitledthe

Re: Record Pressing Plant Start up Costs

Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:23 am

Oh i wont argue about that, i believe it straight away.
With all respect good to see that you are enthusiastic in a entere new galvanic enterprise! :)

Im talking about the galvanic project in France, they got a small setup up and running i believe.
Maybe chinaski can enlighten us if they are in production? Would be great initiative to get ready to go stampers from there, centered maybe formed as far as possible. Dont know, do they cut too? Anyways just thinking out loud again.

Jacob

chinaski

Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:43 am

Only thing I know is that he was looking for some new galvanic baths lately...

mossboss

Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:22 pm

Jacob
Keep at it, but please at the same time you also need to be realistic at the same time
This cannot be seen like a hobby or some kind of a sideline or the most common statement
"I just want to make some records for my band and my friends"
It is serious manufacturing process which goes together with a heavy capital investment
Do not be influenced by a lot of irrelevant post's here how one can press records on a garage press
We have seen them come and go over the years, so far not one has managed to show us any results
Same goes in regards to plating or the desire to setup a plant to make stampers, with some god knows what gear
It just simply does not work
Now
There is no secret who both of you are referring to
David Is OK
He is working away to make it all happen
It takes time and effort plus lots of shekels, any support he gets he will certainly appreciate it
Best
Chris

MusicFan

Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:36 am

there is a galva at GM Records, actually silvering station is renewed.

DScurf

Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:46 pm

Thanks for this post.

I'm looking into the prospect of setting up a pressing plant. Would anyone be able to share with me a picture of the financials of a two press set up similar to the one mentioned above. In particular, I would be interested in learning about the operating costs, cost per unit, and production capacity.

Thanks

moolieboy

Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:41 pm

I LOVE reading this article about the manufacturing process. Read it at first in 2014, and just read it again. Thanks y'all SOO MUCH for taking the time to contribute this knowledge. Big Fan. Maybe someday we'll have some NEW manufacturing like this in Austin. Happy Holidays.
b.

The_House_Records

Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:16 am

I heard some where you could get a press for around 15 - 25 thousand dollars. RPA sells vinyl extruders for about 50,000$ and Record trimmers for about 6000$.

The_House_Records

Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:17 pm

Also look into Microfusion records. The presses are cheaper, and the sound quality is better.

TomOvertown

Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:51 pm

Hey folks. Longtime music biz guy - first time plant planner.

Currently working on a business plan for 3 steamless viryl machines. 2 warm tones and one lite tone.

I do have people working with me that have technical experience, including one lathe troll who lurks under a bridge and never posts.

Any chance y'all would be kind enough to partially update the OP for viryl or any other modern machines?

I have the company specs, would love to hear some customer feedback.

Thanks,
Tom

Aussie0zborn

Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:02 pm

TomOvertown wrote: steamless
Why steamless and how much does it cost to run compared to steam?

TomOvertown

Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:16 pm

steamless so we don't have to install a boiler system, maintain a boiler system or deal with the regulations.

steamless matrixes are 30k each. a boiler system can run upwards of 200k

Aussie0zborn

Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:17 am

Seems like an awfully high cost for a steam boiler. How does that compare with the cost of electricity in your area?

Electricity is so expensive in Australia that we would never consider it a viable option. Maybe you have cheap electricity where you are.

TomOvertown

Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:03 pm

it's not so much the boiler, but retrofitting the space, compliance, all the plumbing etc.

electricity here is little over a 11 cents a kwh. how much is it in oz? i just saw 34 cents, but not sure how current that is.

Aussie0zborn

Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:39 pm

Don’t know where you’re located but if that’s USD $0.11 that’s half our price which as you state is AUD $0.34 / USD $0.23 per kw/h.

Even so, it still seems expensive but you’ve probably done a cost analysis.

TomOvertown

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:55 pm

florida. so, yep. usd.
chiller prices don't seem to have a rhyme or reason to them over here, especially in the second hand market.

what brand/model do you use down under?

Aussie0zborn

Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:31 am

You would need a water cooling tower before using a chiller. The chiller is not mandatory but definitely good to have.

llary

Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:17 pm

With 3 presses I would look again, and look hard at your costings for "steamless" vs a gas boiler or even a regular electric steam boiler.

I operate Viryl presses in a country that has similar prices for electricity, maybe even a little cheaper. There is no way the math works in favor of a "steamless" system.

"Steamless" has a use case for a single press operation with inexperienced operators who maybe want to set up a small plant in or near a major city where licensing could be difficult.

A decent 1000kg gas fired boiler that could run 4 presses will not cost US$200k. Maybe $30k for a good one. In Florida you will need to spend some extra $$ on steam traps and steam dryers, in a humid environment you really want the steam superheated or just dry as possible.

Your cycle time will be much longer with "steamless". I assume you have populated a spreadsheet with your hourly fixed costs such as labor, electricity to run extruders and machines, running costs for the building, toilet paper for the employees' dumps etc? You should have a solid handle on what your operation cost per minute is, otherwise you are not in a good place to make a decision between traditional steam boiler or steamless system.

I would not like to operate a press cooled by just a passive cooling tower. There are lots of different chiller types on the market and I would not try to purchase a chiller yourself if you don't have any experience. I would prefer two smaller chillers over one large one, if one falls over you can carry on pressing.

TomA

Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:25 pm

This is an excellent synopsis - thank you.

Q1: Regarding the supply-steam to the process - is there an intermediate heat-exchanger that transfers heat to a working-fluid or cavity within the press?

Q2: Regarding the process-chilled-water - .. HXr .. - that transfers to a working-fluid or cavity within the press?

Aussie0zborn

Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:00 am

The moulds in the press are steam heated and water cooled.

Gringosolo

Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:11 am

Regarding the cooling and steam systems. It seems there is heat required for steam generation and there is heat rejected during cooling. Interesting to know if there is any effective way to recycle some of that energy.