Stamper adhesive

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

misjah

Stamper adhesive

Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:44 pm

Hi Guys,

what adhesive can be used to glue a stamper to the mold?. I searched the forum here but couldn't find a straight answer.

any help appreciated.

Misjah

Aussie0zborn

Re: Stamper adhesive

Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:38 am

We used this stuff for a while. Makes for a nice pressing seeing as you do not need to use stamper clamping rings and this allows the stamper to flatten out during the compression moulding process. It also provides excellent heat transfer making a noticeable difference in the manufacturing process.

It came from the USA in large barrels and was packed into aerosol cans here. It's a heat sensitive glue that melts while the mould is heated and sets when the mould is cooled, allowing you to remove the record.

Why do you ask, you man?

misjah

Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:14 am

Thanks Oz, that's exactly why I would like to use it. You have the name of that glue? also wondering how you would desolve it and get the stamper off the mold again without destroying the stamper?

I'm asking cause I'm working on a cook press (still in ghetto stage) but planning for more "pro" approach.

Aussie0zborn

Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:33 am

Never knew the name because it was in a generic can with black and white label. Imported by, and packed for CBS records who we bought it from. We only used when the edge of a stamper would crack - by removing the clamping ring you could trim the brakes edge off the stamper, use the glue and finish order without making a new stamper. So it was really only for emergency use in our plant.

You need to search for "heat sensitive glue" and see what you come up with.

You heat the mould to remove the stamper as if you were going to press the next record, but instead you remove the stamper. You clean the glue off the stamper and the mould with acetone.

mossboss

Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:03 pm

Try a few brands of carpet adhesive in aerosol spray cans it works just the same Phoenix of vinyl in Park Royal used it very recently quite successfully
Chris

misjah

Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:53 am

Yes I found a spray that works well. Sticks like crazy and easy to remove after. Even bison tix worked but harder to remove when left on too long.

misjah

Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:54 am

Ps. Chris...please check your inbox or pm me...still have a console here for you ;)