Nickel sulphamate, presence of ammonium.

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

salnikov

Nickel sulphamate, presence of ammonium.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:55 am

Hello everyone.

For some time, we have a strong presence of ammonium in our sulphamate nickel (more than 3.5 gr / L) which makes our stampers too fragile ....
Our chemist has informed us that this presence of ammonium comes from a temperature too high of sulfamate (above 60 degrees) and a PH too low (below of 3.6).
We normally work at about 55-57 degrees and with a PH of about 3.8 / 3.9 ...
A person could help us on the reason for this ammonium presence and how to eliminate it or whether the sulfamate is definitely dead?

Thanks in advance for all help.

mossboss

Re: Nickel sulphamate, presence of ammonium.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:37 pm

Is Dead, finished, gone, useless, expensive costly excersise
57-59 C is getting very close to ruining the sulfamate solution any way, your thermostats even with an accuracy of 2%, doubtful, will get it above 60 C the maximum for NS liquid
It is very simple, if the liquid in the tank is at the above stated temperature, at high current density, the liquid in the interface between the anodes and cathode will be at a very much higher temperature,
Anything up to 10-15 degrees higher has been measured in experiments depending on current applied
Small quantities of the liquid will break down, generating quite small amount of ammonia, these very small amounts, increase ammonia content slowly until such time as the sulfamate liquid becomes useless
There is no known way of recovering the sulfamate afterwards
Here is a Tip
Before discarding the solution, plate as much as possible at reasonable level current, than dummy plate so as to get all of the dissolved nickel out of it, you can remove 100%
It will help in two ways
1, You get some money for the nickel or you can reuse it if you know how
2, It makes it easier to dispose it, if there is no nickel in the solution, sulfamic acid and boric acid, are quite bening, you can dilute the remaining solution down with waste water nutralise to a pH of around 7 than discharge them safely

Note for David:
I am writing this for everyone thats interested
I have always answered your requests on skype or emails, you simply do not follow advise, so do not expect a reply on any requests out of here, at least someone else may benefit
You have been given advise at your request, by myself as well as zenith and a few others i know of, many times,
You have insisted in the past your chemical supplier knows best
Ha Farking Ha
Chris