Dust/Cleaning issue

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

vondeu

Dust/Cleaning issue

Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:48 am

Guy's and girls,

The last few weeks i've got a issue with vinyl discs that got little dents on it after they are being pressed, they are not hearable but visual they dont look that nice.

I've came to the conclusion that there is dust between my mould en the stamper. Ofcourse i did the standaard way of cleaning: Alcohol, air, alcohol air on both the stamper and the mould. We are using the new Alpha Toolex AD12

I also used anti-static spray for on the mould so that there will be less dust between switching the stamper. The results are getting better but i'm not satisfied yet. Is there anyone that had this same problem in the past? And would like to recommend some cleaning tips? In the meanwhile i'm gonna experiment with some techniques and i will keep you updated.

Happy holidays,

Thomas

Aussie0zborn

Re: Dust/Cleaning issue

Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:14 pm

Hi Thomas and welcome to the Forum.

Assuming the back of the stamper has been polished to perfection without any dags, the dimples you describe are indeed caused by dust between the stamper and the mould. If they are big enough you will hear a low frequency "thump".

Your cleaning process is correct but you don't need anti-static spray. It looks like your plant is very clean but just to be sure, clean the press before changing stampers and don't leave the mould exposed for too long. In other words, the mould should always have a stamper on it whether you are using the press or not. Changing stampers should be done as fast possible.

Practice makes perfect - in a few years you will be a champion.

Merry Christmas to you, too.

SUNBEARS

Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:39 pm

This is always a struggle! When we first started pressing, we weren't even aware of this issue, tho it was prevalent. We have nearly eliminated the issue entirely, tho it does rear its ugly head from time to time. Unfortunately the stampers are likely wasted when the issue does arise.

I've asked nearly everyone I know in the industry about their methods. Everyone has a different process. I have heard that people clean stampers and molds as you have described, and also heard of people using 3M Spray Adhesive to create a "buffer" between the stamper and mold. I've also heard of people using oil, also using thin mylar sheets so that the dust presses into the sheet and not the stamper. Also have heard that URP uses a Tack Cloth to clean the stampers after polishing.

Every place has their process. I have tried each that I have mentioned above. All in all.. if the stamper is dirty, the divots will be there.

Happy cleaning!

Cheers,
J
The loudness war is over, if you want it! - http://www.berlinmastering.co

vondeu

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:52 am

Its been a while since i opened this topic and i’m very thankful for all the helpful information and answers you gave me, thanks for that.

The last few weeks i have been experimenting with cleaning the stampers and the moulds and lucky enough with some proper and good results results.

I know its not usual to tell the ‘secrets’ but feel free to give me a personal message and i will help you as much as i can.

For now: Alcohol, clean towels, aircompress-gun and silicontowels ;)

Have a good week of pressing,

Thomas