Anyone pressing 12' Records like Europadisk etc - 90's style

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Big Al

Anyone pressing 12' Records like Europadisk etc - 90's style

Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:03 pm

I absolutely love US pressings from the 80's / 90's.
As a Brit growing up in this era and buying US records as 'imports' they have always held a special place for me, and always (to me) looked superior, from the type of shrink wrap used to the card sleeve, and to the inner with the curved corners.
The printing of the center label always looked magical to me, occasionally it was off center which only added to the charm.
The cut of the records always looked different compared to UK / Euro records and to my ears sounded 'warmer' and more musical with an overall softer sound in the mids and a fat bottom end that sounded great when turned up loud.

I haven't personally come across any records pressed in recent years that come close to this style, and was wondering if there are any manufactures left in the US who even press records like this any more?

All of the records I have bought recently from US record labels look like the UK / Euro style - very unlike the records from the 90's. Not sure if this is because they are all using Euro based pressing plants or if US based ones just don't make records like this anymore?

Not sure but I'm maybe guessing that this could be down to manufacturing cost, as this earlier style of manufacturing was probably more expensive?

Anyhow, if anyone has any pointers to any manufactures who still can make records like this I would be extremely grateful!

Thanks,

Al.

Aussie0zborn

Re: Anyone pressing 12' Records like Europadisk etc - 90's s

Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:29 am

If the cut looked different, it might have been cut on a Scully lathe which was the most common lathe in the USA, whereas Neumann was the most common lathe in EU. The warmer sound might be attributed to the Westrex cutterhead and aaaoxiates amplifiers.

I think most American manufacturers use the paper bag with rounded corners wven today - easier to slip the record with sleeve into the jacket. You can order thicker jackets any time you like.

You mentioned Europadisk. When I visited in 1988 and until their closure they were cutting masters with a Neumann DMM lathe, like a lot of Europeans. They were pressing with both European and American presses. So apart from the round corner paper sleeve and a thicker cardboard jacket, in shrink wrap, I'm not sure there would be any difference with a U.K. pressing of the same era.

A lot of US pressings today are made in EU.

Are you looking to produce some product? If so, you can configure your packaging as you like so it should be easy to recreate your ideal package.

dietrich10

Re: Anyone pressing 12' Records like Europadisk etc - 90's s

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:34 am

Try one of the NYC plants for similar results
cutting lacquers-vms70 system