Amp suitable for Vinylrecorder..

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

graph

Amp suitable for Vinylrecorder..

Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:18 pm

Hi there,

According to Vinylrecorder.com you'll need:

Amp min. 2 X 250W, max. 2 X 400W
-they can provide 19" Amplifier 220V 2 X 280W Sinus(?), for 320 Euro.

Are there any similar priced Amp alternatives which give better sound/signal/connectivity, or is their Amp fine to do the job?

Also, the optional Vacuum Pump 220V 3A Low noise, constant flow 'device' (390 Euro!?), is this necessary?
-its not said to be needed starting out, but the Vacuum Suction 220V 3A With separate motor cooling Long tube IS?

Cheers.

Internet

Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:02 pm

buy all options of the vinylrecorder...you won't never have a sound like vinylium and the final price is higher. Choice is yours.

opcode66

Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:40 pm

Actually, there has been a lot of argument over which sounds better. There were even some test cuts made of the same track for comparison. You can find the thread here on this forum.

I'm not sure there was ever a final conclusion that one sounds better than the other. It really seems to have a lot to do with how knowledgeable someone is with their system and how to tweak it.

Oh, and good luck trying to get Souri to sell you anything more than the standard system up front. I wanted to buy a full system. 10K worth of goods from Souri. He flat out refused to sell it to me. Said I could buy the standard system and after cutting with that for an indeterminate amount of time I could buy the rest of the system.

graph

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:28 pm

I need an Amp & Vacuum Cleaner with separate motor cooling to begin with.

Just wondered if their 19" Amp (I assume you could purchase to begin with) is 'good enough' or can I get better for similar cost, aswell as their vacuum cleaner with separate motor cooling?

It does seem their Vacuum Pump is 'anything more..' - so does this mean the Vacuum Cleaner actually does its served job fine on its own?

Could anyone suggest anything perhaps?

Cheers.

opcode66

Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:59 pm

It's a good question. What amps are cutters using who work with the Vinylrecorder?

fraggle

Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:07 am

a vacuum cleaner does the job as long as it sucks strong enough BUT the motor might get hot and then the fuse blows or if you are very unlucky it starts to burn that's why he wrote down separate motor cooling or someting.
I'm using a 20 bucks vacuum cleaner and it works fine but i have to switch it off after 20 min so it can cool down a bit.
regarding the amp.
cheap amps often create some sort of sound.
I mean this here brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :)
And then you will get this sound on your record too hehe
So you better go for something not made in fuc... china.
Harman kardon or something.
cheers mate

Aussie0zborn

Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:20 am

I have a Crown K1 amplifier that is surplus to requirements. 550w per channel @ 4 ohms, 350w per channel @ 8 ohms. damping factor < 3,000. Contact me if this works for you. http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/legacy/136713.pdf
Last edited by Aussie0zborn on Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

MEGAMIKE

Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:23 am

hi
i use a few amps that i play around with; technics redback etc and new high power amps..,to get some differant sounds or i think i do ..
also i have an old AIR LORD valve amp (1963)that ive just converted with a line in (radiogram).... :D

MEGAMIKE

Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:25 am

yes sorry point was you can use any amp :D

graph

Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:59 pm

Thans for the help/advice guy's.

Any further suggestions or advice/info regarding what Amp to use and how to use it to its best capacity is much appreciated.

Also I'm told that the Audio Level Meter is placed in the signal chain and so audio to be cut will run through this, is running audio through the meter ('in the actual chain') necessary?

I'd just want the cleanest signal possible, if you see what I'm getting at overall.

Cheers.

petermontg

Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:00 am

graph wrote:
Also I'm told that the Audio Level Meter is placed in the signal chain and so audio to be cut will run through this, is running audio through the meter ('in the actual chain') necessary?
how are you meant to see what level your cutting at with
out a level meter, personaly vu meters are better, they have a more consistent peak level.

if you come across a vu meter, id gather it would be better added to the system instead.

graph

Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:17 pm

Understood, thanks!

What I was getting at is perhaps if there be 2 seperate amp outputs, both controlled by the same volume/amp, then 1 output could serve as the level indicator and the other output then fed to the cutter; doing away with the Level Meter 'process' being in the (audio to be cut) chain.

Cheers.

petermontg

Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:40 pm

graph wrote:Understood, thanks!

What I was getting at is perhaps if there be 2 seperate amp outputs, both controlled by the same volume/amp, then 1 output could serve as the level indicator and the other output then fed to the cutter; doing away with the Level Meter 'process' being in the (audio to be cut) chain.

Cheers.
i see what your getting at but i think you still need those two channels for stereo and phase, maybe make a y cable from both of the leads coming from the amps outputs to level meter.
this will take it out of the cutterhead chain.

is this your first lathe.

graph

Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:02 pm

At present I dont own a lathe.

I'm just asking what I feel may be valid questions in order to gauge what would be the best possible setup to begin with.

Vinylrecorder.com offer an Amp & Level Meter which are necessary to begin with (aswell as the Vacuum Cleaner) but I also wondered if theres any alternatives to theirs.

Cheers.

petermontg

Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:16 pm

graph wrote:At present I dont own a lathe.

I'm just asking what I feel may be valid questions in order to gauge what would be the best possible setup to begin with.

Vinylrecorder.com offer an Amp & Level Meter which are necessary to begin with (aswell as the Vacuum Cleaner) but I also wondered if theres any alternatives to theirs.

Cheers.
not for the price you wont get anything better. i know there is for sale in the uk somewhere, its in the classifieds here.

if you contact souri and have a chat with him, id say he would be willing to help you.

just explain your situation. he had 3 lathes stolen in north america so hes a little cautious with new people at moment. just be honest with him and a little patient, hes english can be confusing

some of the lads here use vinyl recorders. john from single piece slate can be helpful

singlepieceslate(at)gmail.com
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.

BongoJim

Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:04 pm

Don't feel you have to use all the setup the way Souri lays it out. I used a mixer to control the levels but after a few years I started experimenting with creating my own RIAA correction in Protools and ditched the mixer as a level control. to me the signal chain was just way too long and going through a DJ mixer just didn't seem right.

The one great thing about the VR is the fact that you can adapt its set up to fit your needs, but beware this is NOT a plug and play item. It takes a lot of practice and skill to get a consistent solid cut.

Souri is fine but he doesn't suffer fools and I get the impression a lot of his 'eccentric' business methods come from being badly treated by customers in the past. If you treat him well you will be fine.

graph

Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:16 am

yes bingo, appreciate that input.

i would maybe intend using:

>from cubase sx audio output
>then audio goes into the riaa controller & amp
>audio then goes into the level meter
>where then all audio to be cut is finally sent to cutting head.

correct me if im wrong but does that chain/setup seem ok?

cheers.

BongoJim

Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:13 am

The thing is that you already have a level meter in Cubase. I would just use the hardware VU meter to monitor the playback. For the first few months I would not cut anything over +3db and monitor the level of everything you are cutting whilst you are cutting. Get a really good pair of headphones, like Sennheiser DH600 as well as a half decent playback stylus to give you as clear a representation of the cut as possible.

Once you are cutting just bring the volume in Cubase up until you can hear the sound coming from the head, put the playback stylus in the last groove and slowly increase the volume until you get to +3db. Cut one minute of audio then check the results under the microscope. Repeat this process, pretty much for ever or until you no longer have to think about what to do next.