Turntables, carts and styli.

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

concretecowboy71

Turntables, carts and styli.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:21 pm

What do you guys use to check your cuts?

Right now I have a Technics 1200 with a Stanton 680 El cart and an el cheapo Crosley portable that I check cuts on too.

I am thinking about upgrading / changing the cart on my Technics and was wondering what everybody might think was a good cart to use in this situation.

What makes a good reference setup as opposed to a good DJ or listening setup?

Thanks
Cutting Masters in Bristol,Virginia, USA
Well Made Music / Gotta Groove Records

subkontrabob

Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:52 pm

Hi,

I hope you don't consider this threadjacking, but I have an observation on a related note:

In the dubcutter manual it is stated that

"use only good noon abrasive pickups (shure m44-6,m42, stanton 680) with reasonable weight. if you use ortofon concord, especially the elliptic ones your accetates wont play more than 30-40 times. with a carefull handlying and a good pickup you can play them more than 100 times. "

I use ortofon only, so I would be curious to get more details on this topic. Flozki can probably tell us how this recommendation came to be? :)

best regards,

Bob

PS: and how does the M44-7 (which is shure's workhorse scratch cartridge) compare?

EDIT: I just remembered a related anecdote involving the EMT 928 turntable (not sure which cartridge, I think it was original). They have one of these highly regarded turntables at the studio where I occasionally cut. I was shocked when I played back one of my cuts and had lots of rumble, hiss, etc. I thought I had totally screwed up and went home depressed, and tried it on my 1210 with a Ortofon COncorde, and alas, it sounded great. Unbelievable how bad the result was on the 928. I don't know if there was something wrong with that particular unit, but well....... :evil:

JuanPabloCuervo

Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:26 pm

subkontrabob wrote: PS: and how does the M44-7 (which is shure's workhorse scratch cartridge) compare?
The Shure sounds very LOUD & Bright... (the loudest) and that seems "better" but when its compared against others, at same RMS level,
like for example: vs. Audio-Technica AT150MLX (a very quiet cartridge).

they sound like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRyIACDCc1I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTBoMlsw-0I

Stanton 680v3 has a nice warm crisp sound, but most of the improoved sound its becouse the new diamonds.
the older 680-el-ii cartridge sounds louder.
Audio Technica has more stereo, the ATP-2 its Louder than AT150MLX.
Pickering P/AC-1 ("Stanton v400") sounds very balanced & transparent, but the highs sound ugly.

the only thing i dont like about Stanton 680v3 its the stereo...
maybe the 681eee Mk3 could solve that.
Audio-Technica stereo sounds imoressive, but MicroLine stylus kills low density/weak PVC records.

Goldring, Grado, Ortofon..
its a matter of personal taste, & phono-pre combination.
tonearm rewire its also very important for a good sound.

cymbalism

Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:09 pm

I try everything from a kids fisher price deck to a portable numark to a midline jvc and onkyo to a 1200 or dual or thorens. Basically I think if the cut sounds good on a normal midline table and dj table most people who buy it will be happy. Those who test their records on thousand dollar tables are only catering to people with lots of cash which most of today's record buyers do not have.
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

mossboss

Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:09 am

Concrete man
Look mate you have the best turtable in the world on the VMS keep your t/t"s save your money
You either cut or you ply back not both so why spend money for something that would not even come near what you have?
Cheers
Chris

Aussie0zborn

Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:08 am

mossboss wrote:... why spend money for something that would not even come near what you have?
Cheers
It depends on who's buying the record. You need a mid-range turntable and a shitty turntable to check your cuts on. If its a dance track then an Sl1200 is fine. The last thing you want is returns with records that dont play on your target market's turntables. The traget martket never has a VMS70 turntable.

The Ortofon Concorde cartridge is shit.

concretecowboy71

Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:20 pm

That is all very good info.

I use the TT on the lathe a lot as well as the 1200.

I also use my portable crosley when I have any doubt.

Thanks guys.
Cutting Masters in Bristol,Virginia, USA
Well Made Music / Gotta Groove Records

blacknwhite

Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:05 pm

Aussie0zborn wrote:
mossboss wrote:... why spend money for something that would not even come near what you have?
Cheers
It depends on who's buying the record. You need a mid-range turntable and a shitty turntable to check your cuts on. If its a dance track then an Sl1200 is fine. The last thing you want is returns with records that dont play on your target market's turntables.
AGREED

mossboss

Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:11 pm

He already has the shitty and the goody I thought it was quite obvious Cheers
Chris

gengy

Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:23 am

I test my cuts on vms turntable and of course also on SL 1200 with stanton 681 or trackmaster depending on type of music.

cheers
Alessandro Di Guglielmo
Mastering and Disk Cutting