cutterhead Audax Rh5 - appropriate amplifier

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

oOUTOFCONTROLo

cutterhead Audax Rh5 - appropriate amplifier

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:27 am

I have an audax RH5 cutterhead, have now the problem what can hope for a ampfilier for this cutter is suitable to operate it without problem, the cutter head is 8 ohm, someone help me with a cheap alternative

Angus McCarthy

Re: cutterhead Audax Rh5 - appropriate amplifier

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:30 pm

You can drive any 8-ohm cutterhead with an appropriate consumer-grade amplifier. A lot of those don't have the greatest Wattage, though.

powerstrip

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:40 am

^^

You know, I thought pumping too many watts can blow the head? I figure that 30w is more than you will ever need?

I have an audax H4 ?? I was driving with a crown amp, I did not blow the head but i'm sure i put too much signal into it once

Angus McCarthy

Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:25 pm

These days there's such a huge range of consumer amps out there, I wouldn't be surprised to find a 1000W theater system sitting on the shelf next to something squeezing out a fraction of a Watt. The Presto 92A was a 60Watt amp, so it's safe to assume that's the range to look for in driving non-feedback heads like a 5-C or 1-D.

I can't find the post, but I recall somebody here mentioning that, generally, the higher the Wattage rating on an amp, the quicker it is to drag the stylus through the lacquer surface. I just picked up a 300W amp for pittance, and I'm hoping my ten bucks was well spent!

EmAtChapterV

Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:43 pm

higher the Wattage rating on an amp, the quicker it is to drag the stylus through the lacquer surface
I think what you're referring to is Slew Rate. Wattage is how many Volts the amplifier's power rails can put out, times how many Amps current it can handle. Slew Rate is how quickly it can change from putting out voltage -X to voltage +Y.

The big problem with amplifier power, especially solid-state, is clipping. When the power required exceeds the capability of the amplifier's power rails, it clips, and starts dumping DC into the the output. DC current tends to blow up circuits designed for AC only, like speakers and cutterheads.

Angus McCarthy

Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:52 am

Gotcha. So what you're saying is a moderately high-powered amp would still be desirable if for no other reason than to avoid clipping, right? Though, the 300W is probably overkill in that case!

audadvnc

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:59 pm

I don't know about Neumann or Ortofon heads, but from my experience with Westrex 3B and 3DIIa heads, I see they cut full excursion tracks with quite minimal power input. A couple of watts is normally sufficient to drive a reasonably lively track; all that extra power in the amp rack is for the occasional peak (which isn't all that likely to be encountered nowadays anyhow, due to the high ambient level of digital source materials). Running peaks of 0.5 Amp through the 3B head's 7 ohm load is about as high as I'll push it; farther than that and I'm risking butting up against adjacent grooves.

petermontg

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:01 pm

I have the RH5 8 ohm 45 watt any amp that outputs that will work. I have amp bridges into 8ohm 45watt.

Easy enough to find from most music stores, have a look around.

Peter
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.

the_ducktail

Tue May 19, 2015 12:06 am

Dear Trolls:

I have the same AUDAX RH5 head 8 ohms, and I have a 120 Watts samson hi-fi power amplifier. My question is... how many watts can I turn up the volume of my amp without blowing the head up?

Best Regards
Richie.-

studiorp

Tue May 19, 2015 4:33 am

Depend, do you use the inverted riaa circuit inside your audio chain ?

Then, about cutting volume , it's simple, in the moment in which you start to hear distortion inside your head, you must decrease the volume.

Vhflores

Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:58 pm

El amplificador apropiado es el Rek o Kut R8B

EposLab

Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:33 am

I have a Solid State , Class-D , 120W@4ohm for my Presto 1D @4ohm.
It has really enough power to drive when you cut flat but when you want to boost the highs the you can notice its easier to clip (depends on the high frequencies of the track).
What i also noticed is that if you don't connect the head with right polarity , the amp is clipping easier at lower volume.
So other than the power , slew rate and the damping factor of the amp , connection with right polarity is a thing to keep in mind! ..and always keep you cutterhead safe using a fuse (F500mA recommended in most of the cases)!!

Tasos
Epos Laboratory
Epos Laboratory Phono Cartridge Retip & Lathe Cuts
http:\\www.eposlab.gr
info@eposlab.gr
IG EposLab (https://www.instagram.com/eposlab/?hl=en)