Dub Studio

Audiodisc Name Change (Apollo Dubplates, Reference Lites)

Tue May 07, 2013 6:14 am

Just been told apollo dubs are now to be called audiodiscs... is this just a name change or is there more change afoot?

opcode66

Re: Audiodisc Name Change

Tue May 07, 2013 3:12 pm

It has always read Audiodiscs on the box.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Dub Studio

Tue May 07, 2013 4:27 pm

Sure, but my supplier never made a point of mentioning it to me before...

jjgolden

Tue May 07, 2013 5:12 pm

Serif ... up to his old tricks again. :lol:

Dub Studio

Tue May 07, 2013 5:33 pm

jjgolden wrote:Serif ... up to his old tricks again. :lol:
Sounds very cryptic!

powerstrip

Tue May 14, 2013 11:59 pm

Dub Studio wrote:Just been told apollo dubs are now to be called audiodiscs... is this just a name change or is there more change afoot?
you must have been around for a LONG time...and out of the loop for just as long!\

I have some yellow label audiodiscs (three hole) that say 'audiodiscs' on them...theyre about as old as my deceased grandparents

Dub Studio

Wed May 15, 2013 4:10 am

powerstrip wrote:
Dub Studio wrote:Just been told apollo dubs are now to be called audiodiscs... is this just a name change or is there more change afoot?
you must have been around for a LONG time...and out of the loop for just as long!\

I have some yellow label audiodiscs (three hole) that say 'audiodiscs' on them...theyre about as old as my deceased grandparents
hehe no honestly, I cut acetates all the time, I am aware of the legacy of the Audiodisc name, but it appears that Apollo are basically reverting back to using the Audiodisc as their main brand now...

since starting this thread I have received a box of the newly branded dubs, and instead of the usual purple boxes, there is a new design all in black, with Audiodisc as the central logo, with Apollo and Transco as secondary logos...

anyway, my question wasn't so much about the branding per se, just wondering if anything else had changed. I have tried the dubs and they seem identical to me, so I guess its just a branding exercise :lol:

Aussie0zborn

Thu May 16, 2013 11:48 am

Sounds a bit like Harman reintroducing the UREI brand name. Unless this is a new formulation, maybe it's to clearly differentiate between masters and dubs.

Dub Studio

Fri May 17, 2013 5:33 am

Well logically-speaking, one of the formulas must change, since two brands have been merged into one... so it must be either the Apollo or the Transco being ditched, or both.

opcode66

Fri May 17, 2013 2:36 pm

Actually, we have confirmation on the board from Apollo that the formula has changed slightly in recent years due to federal regulations. California does have a lot of regulations regarding chemicals and manufacturing...
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

Dub Studio

Mon May 20, 2013 8:19 am

opcode66 wrote:Actually, we have confirmation on the board from Apollo that the formula has changed slightly in recent years due to federal regulations. California does have a lot of regulations regarding chemicals and manufacturing...
I thought there were two formulas? Transco and Apollo? Is it just Apollo dubs that are called Audiodisc? Or Transco too?

opcode66

Tue May 21, 2013 11:26 am

Ok, let me reword what I said. Apollo posted on this board that over time they have had to change their formula in order to comply with the laws governing chemical manufacturing in California. Since those laws would govern the production of both Apollo and Transco lacquers, one can naturally assume that BOTH formulas have been altered in order to be compliant with the laws in their state.

And, IMHO, I highly doubt they make two formulas. I think they are the same thing in a different box. But, I have NO proof of that.

Dub Studio

Tue May 21, 2013 11:42 am

Yeh that's a fair assumption I guess...

Turns out its just the Apollo brand that is now going under Audiodisc, not Transco, so there will still be two brands. I have no way of knowing either, but I would hedge my bets there is a difference in the two formulas. Why would they bother running the two brands if they were using the same formula?

Kris D

Tue May 21, 2013 12:12 pm

Hi,

In April I was lucky enough to go to the Apollo facility with Piaptk during our mobile cutting trip to the coachella festival. Sam and Terry at Apollo gave us a full tour, I can confirm Apollo and Transco lacquers use separate formulas. The staff there is dedicated to producing the highest quality products and it was awesome to see the process in person.

Kris

Dub Studio

Tue May 21, 2013 12:55 pm

Kris D wrote:Hi,

In April I was lucky enough to go to the Apollo facility with Piaptk during our mobile cutting trip to the coachella festival. Sam and Terry at Apollo gave us a full tour, I can confirm Apollo and Transco lacquers use separate formulas. The staff there is dedicated to producing the highest quality products and it was awesome to see the process in person.

Kris
Nice! Thanks for the info. I met the guys when they were over in London a few years back. Really nice bunch of people - I still have my Apollo baseball hat :)

Dub Studio

Wed May 22, 2013 7:33 am

Kris D wrote:I can confirm Apollo and Transco lacquers use separate formulas.
In the end it looks like that's gonna change... I just tried to buy some Transco dubs, and it turns out the only available brand is now Audiodisc...

Apollo

Wed May 22, 2013 8:21 pm

Hi Guys,
Sorry I didn't see this thread before. Let me first start out by explaining we really do not manufacture Dubs. A Dub by definition is a Master that has not made the cut. (sorry for the pun) as a Master for either visual or fidelity in our quality inspection. These discs are still very good so instead of rejecting them completely, these Dubs, or "seconds", are punched with two holes and are sold at a reduced price without the guarantee of the single sided Masters.
When we acquired Transco, we decided it was very important to keep their formula as it was so we spent a huge amount of time and resources to develop segregated tanks, filters, and pipes for the Transco product. Since we are now manufacturing two separate formulas, Apollo and Transco, we decided to use the Audiodisc name for Dubs to keep from confusing which lacquer was being used for dubs. (Audiodisc is a trademark name under Apollo and as pointed out has been around for a long time). We have not changed the formulations used for decades although at times we will offer variations for specific applications. For instance, we were using a variation of our formula that made the lacquer harder for a while on our lite series for playback and longevity. We have also not had to modify formulas due to regulations. Regulations have always been a threat to production but we work very hard to stay on top this.
Understanding that we have to two lines that spin off dubs, we could not keep enough stock to offer a choice of dubs being Apollo or Transco when they were boxed. Keeping separate inventories and boxing Dubs by brand was just too expensive. In order to keep cost down, we just used a new box and labeled it Audiodisc. This leaves the Masters as always Apollo or Transco, and Audiodiscs are a blend of the Apollo or Transco discs that fall out of Master production.
Hope this helps with the understanding.
Apollo / Transco

emidisc

Re: Audiodisc Name Changeh

Thu May 23, 2013 12:30 pm

Hi Apollo,
Thanks for the post regarding Audiodiscs - I am sure everyone on this forum agrees that your products are excellent but saying that there is no real alternative!
For the semi pro or beginners I think you may be missing out on a market because the price is simply too high thus many people are busy trying to find alternative blanks and some are getting pretty good results personally I prefer dubs but can't afford the price I just feel that some middle ground could be mutually beneficial.
Bear in mind that some of today's young trolls hopefully will become tomorrows Pro Cutters otherwise the Industry will disappear!

Emidisc

Apollo

Re: Audiodisc Name Changeh

Thu May 23, 2013 4:20 pm

emidisc wrote:Hi Apollo,
Thanks for the post regarding Audiodiscs - I am sure everyone on this forum agrees that your products are excellent but saying that there is no real alternative!
For the semi pro or beginners I think you may be missing out on a market because the price is simply too high thus many people are busy trying to find alternative blanks and some are getting pretty good results personally I prefer dubs but can't afford the price I just feel that some middle ground could be mutually beneficial.
Bear in mind that some of today's young trolls hopefully will become tomorrows Pro Cutters otherwise the Industry will disappear!

Emidisc
I completely understand what you are saying and have been looking into many different ways to offer a viable product at a good price. It is difficult because of the intricate processes and large costs we have for producing Masters.
I have been experimenting with ways to be able to address this by experimenting with different substrates and also possibly doing a one side coating to reduce manufacturing costs, yet still providing an excellent product for hobbyist and the like.
We have the same issue with styli, each one is hand ground and polished. I have been looking into the possibility of not putting the burnishing facets and heating wire since that is where most of our expense is and the hobby market doesn't use anyway. No promises, but I am trying and if I can make sense to do it at some point, I would love to supply what you are asking. :D
Apollo / Transco

emidisc

Thu May 23, 2013 7:47 pm

Apollo,
Personally I could not ask for a better response and I hope other trolls will agree,
Sounds like you are seriously on the case and I for one would be delighted to see some of these ideas come to market,
On the subject of substrates I like others have a stack of dubs that for one reason or another have been spoiled so is it no longer possible to recycle them like I understand companies did in the past?
This would also help the company win fans with "the green brigade"
Also the supply of cutting stylus without nichrome wire again would be no big deal and easy to add if required by the user.
Please keep us posted and thanks again for your prompt reply.

Regards
Emidisc