Cutting nitemares? Am I alone?

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

EmAtChapterV

Re: Cutting nitemares? Am I alone?

Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:27 pm

Steve nudged me to post one I had last night. Before I went to bed I was ordering from Third Man Records' Cyber Monday sale plus a couple of their direct-to-acetate LPs, shortly after I watched video of Len Horowitz cutting sides for Dionysus Records on his Scully.

Then I fell asleep and dreamed I was cutting direct-to-acetate for Jack White and bands he was hosting at an outdoor gig, using Len's Scully. I felt honoured to be allowed to use a professional lathe I didn't own. But the bands wouldn't give me correct timings for songs and the speed was jumping from 33 to 45 so I kept running out of space on a side, and pieces of the lathe like the variable pitch knob kept falling off and rolling away and wouldn't stick back on. I think it got stuck at 70 lpi, so even less time per side. Eventually Len came over and opened the lathe up, and we discovered it was packed full of talcum powder. He looked disappointed in me. I felt like I'd let him down.

ejemmons

Re: Cutting nitemares? Am I alone?

Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:28 pm

My biggest one was when the vacuum failed and the chip balled up, flamed, and fried the left coil in my Westrex... I got there just in time to see the fireball, and hear the left side go dark in the FB monitor. Of course, the EQ had to be redone from scratch after Len bailed me out (in ONE day!), thank God for DSP!!!
Penalty for having to pee in the midst of a side!! :)
Scully "500" with Westrex 3DIIa,
RA-1574E amps.