About vinylium dubcutter

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

kaiserL

About vinylium dubcutter

Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:18 am

Hello everyone
I am a beginner of vinyl cutting, I love record. I want to buy a new lacquer cutter to start my first cutting. I see a lots of topics about vinylium dubcutter in internet, so I want to know about this cutter. does anyone know this company and cutter? whether this company trustable? Here is the website of this company:http://www.vinylium.ch

I have several question about this cutter. If someone could help me, that would be great. :D

1.About the vinylium dubcutter : If I buy the CHF 9,100 dubplatecutter which show on your website, will I able to start recording my own vinyl record? Do I need to purchase other equipment in order to make the CD or audiofiles (wav, aiff, flac, mp3) into the record? (For beginner).

2.About the stylus : What is the life of stylus ? the faq of vinylium mention about that "for best durability and cuts into vinyllike material please choose the vinylium diammon stylus. you can get saphir stylus at transco (http://www.transcousa.com) model 320 Neumann type or apollo (http://www.apollomasters.com/products.html) type nsh-2s (3 mil tip)." What's the different between the brands? Where could I find a cheaper stylus for durability?

3.About the blank vinyl: the faq of vinylium mention about that "transco (http://www.transcousa.com/lds.html) 10" and 12"apollo (http://www.apollomasters.com) 10" and 12" buy dub quality only: this is exactly what you need." and I ask Transco about the price, but the price was too high for me. the 12 inch dub plate is about 20 USD each. does anyone know where could I find the better price and ok quality dub plates?

4.About Cutting process: Is it easy to learn how to cut? I am a beginner, I totally have no idea about the cutting.

thanks for replying :) :) :)

opcode66

Re: About vinylium dubcutter

Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:01 pm

Vinyllium exists only as an out of date web site. They no longer make disc cutters. You can not order one. You can not even contact anyone there. I'll be amazed if you get an email returned.

You have to have the right kind of stylus for the material you want to cut. Sapphire is for lacquer. Diamond is for polycarbonate plastic. You cant cut lacquer with diamond. Cant cut plastic with sapphire. Diamonds are $300 from me. $350 from vinylike.de (ex vinylium folks). Lifespan of diamond is mostly governed by your experience. You can make them last if you know what you are doing. You can also fuck them up in 5 minutes if you dont. Sapphires last for 20 hours of cut time.

The difference between transco and apollo is mostly in the burnishing facet size. Some people say one sounds better than the other. I have only used 320 transco. I also use my own diamond cutting styli. You will find no cheaper styli. That is the selection. Unless you find used or new old stock on ebay. But, it is hard to find deals on these items even there. Welcome to record cutting. It isn't cheap for good results. Ever. Get used to it.

Same goes for lacquer. The only cheap stock is old stock. And, old stock has issues with it being too dried out. Apollo is raising their prices as well. So, lacquer gets more expensive as time progresses.

Polycarbonate discs range in price. I sell my 12" black polycarbonate discs for $8.50 per disc plus shipping. You can have your own routed from sheets of polycarbonate. But, the cost will be about the same. If this all sounds expensive, then possibly this is not the hobby for you to pursue.

Learning to cut is not particularly easy. It is a personal process. Takes longer for some. Shorter for others. It really depends on what type of previous experience you have with machinery, electronics, audio and signal processing. Getting a good cut is partially knowing how to operate the machine, and mostly knowing audio. If you are unfamiliar with mastering or processing audio then this will be a real learning curve. Do you have any books on the subject? If not, find them. The AES anthology is excellent.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

kaiserL

Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:52 am

Thanks for replying. So If I want make more than 200 pieces record, the best way and cheaper way gonna be pressing? Here is my situation, we have a gramophone factory, we want to make some vinyl record as a gift for our customer who buy our product, we want to find a cheaper way to achieve this purpose. Do you have any suggestion for this? thanks

Aussie0zborn

Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:17 am

If you want 200 pieces you should get records pressed.

Please tell us about your gramophone factory. Website??

opcode66

Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:01 pm

This is the pricing on my web site.

200 records with full color printed labels = $1,186.50

That includes everything. The shipping is only for USA. To ship outside the USA it would cost more.

$1200 is a lot less than the 10K or 12K you would be investing getting a Vinylium system up and running with all required items necessary to run it.
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

kaiserL

Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:39 pm

Aussie0zborn wrote:If you want 200 pieces you should get records pressed.

Please tell us about your gramophone factory. Website??
our website is:www.cn-aison.com

kaiserL

Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:41 pm

opcode66 wrote:This is the pricing on my web site.

200 records with full color printed labels = $1,186.50

That includes everything. The shipping is only for USA. To ship outside the USA it would cost more.

$1200 is a lot less than the 10K or 12K you would be investing getting a Vinylium system up and running with all required items necessary to run it.

1. What's the life of Short Vinyl Runs records? how many time could be play?

2. Could I make my music like Mp3 or CD into the pressed record?

3. how many grams of the pressed record? how many minutes of music could be put into a Short Vinyl Runs record ?

thx

opcode66

Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:38 am

1. Same as any other pressed record. 100,000 clear plays generally.

2. If you own the license for the music then yes. If not, then you need to license it. Otherwise it would be considered piracy.

3. That depends on how much you want to spend. You can get standard or heavier weight discs pressed.

4. A 12" at low volume can squeeze up to 25 minutes per side. Less time is generally preferred for a better sounding cut.

kaiserL

Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:00 am

opcode66 wrote:1. Same as any other pressed record. 100,000 clear plays generally.

2. If you own the license for the music then yes. If not, then you need to license it. Otherwise it would be considered piracy.

3. That depends on how much you want to spend. You can get standard or heavier weight discs pressed.

4. A 12" at low volume can squeeze up to 25 minutes per side. Less time is generally preferred for a better sounding cut.

thx for replying, so how could I contact you for detail? Do you have email?