Data Storage Between Recording and Making the Master Record

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

pickled_nickel

Data Storage Between Recording and Making the Master Record

Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:42 pm

Were is the data professionally stored (recorded onto) between recording the music itself and cutting the master record. Is it stored on analog storage (like reel-to-reel) or digital (like MP-3 and CD). :?:

opcode66

Re: Data Storage Between Recording and Making the Master Rec

Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:15 am

That depends on what studio recorded the master and who is doing the cutting. A lot of studios just do digital these days. And, they submit digital for cutting. I don't even have a reel-to-reel and therefore couldn't take analog masters for vinyl transfer. But, a lot of cutters do and could. So, it all really depends.

I tend to find that the digital sounds really nice after the transfer to disc. Running it through the analog chain for cutting always seems to help.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

pickled_nickel

Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:33 am

opcode66 wrote:That depends on what studio recorded the master and who is doing the cutting. A lot of studios just do digital these days. And, they submit digital for cutting. I don't even have a reel-to-reel and therefore couldn't take analog masters for vinyl transfer. But, a lot of cutters do and could. So, it all really depends.

I tend to find that the digital sounds really nice after the transfer to disc. Running it through the analog chain for cutting always seems to help.
But which one (analog or digital) sounds better on the finished pressing?

opcode66

Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:53 pm

That is completely subjective. And, based on how good your hearing is and if you know what to look for.

More studios are digital these days than analog. And, most records pressed in the last 5 to tens 10 years came from digital masters. Hope thos helps.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

pickled_nickel

Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:34 pm

Ya thanks! That helped me a lot ! :D 8)

Steve E.
Site Admin

Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:19 am

pickled_nickel wrote:Were is the data professionally stored (recorded onto) between recording the music itself and cutting the master record. Is it stored on analog storage (like reel-to-reel) or digital (like MP-3 and CD). :?:
Records are rarely made from mp3s, though. When it does happen, one hopes they are high bitrate ones.

There is now the ability to cut records from digital sources that are a higher bitrate and sample rate than CDs, too. But that's probably more info than you are looking for today. Hey, welcome, Pickled Nickel!