Lyrec Turntable motor Wow + Flutter

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

gold

Lyrec Turntable motor Wow + Flutter

Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:53 pm

Has anyone who uses a Neumann/Lyrec setup done W+F measurements lately? I'd be interested to hear what you are getting. This can be done privately. I'm curious and will share in private my readings. I just changed my motor run capacitor. I never measured it before. It always looked stable with the strobe so I never checked. It still looks good on the strobe.

I used the blue NAB record and an AP Portable One for measurement.

markrob

Re: Lyrec Turntable motor Wow + Flutter

Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:36 am

Hi,

Just curious. Does the NAB record state its residual W+F (looks like the Portable One residual is .01% unweighted)? Are you able to to look at the W+F spectrum with the AP unit to determine if the W+F components are random or periodic in nature? If you playback the record and test on an SL1200 or other TT, can you duplicate the spec'ed performance levels?

Mark

gold

Re: Lyrec Turntable motor Wow + Flutter

Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:06 pm

I realized the right way to test is to record to disk while playing back. That will eliminate any questions about the record.

The AP has an pre and post measurement outputs. I have them feeding a scope. I recently purchased an interface and software for iOS from Studio Six Digital. It has FFT and a lot of other useful stuff. I don't have it interfaced yet. I would like to look for signatures.

How far do you think I'd get by tweaking the motor run cap value?