Master Pro, suction, cutting plastics

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

mischmerz

Master Pro, suction, cutting plastics

Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:02 pm

I have suction on my Rek-O.-Cut Masterpro (Grampian head) and it works well with lacquer cuts. Cutting plastic however is a totally different ball game. Since the swarf is a complete thread (that doesn't tear easy) once it manages to bypass suction, its over. It actually pulls the already collected swarf out the suction system. Unfortunately, I can't fit a bigger diameter suction pipe under the head .. what is the usual diameter one should use?

Anybody has a working plastic cutting suction fit under a Rek style bridge?
mm.

rsimms3

Re: Master Pro, suction, cutting plastics

Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:31 pm

Just so I understand the question, you're saying that if you have plastic swarf that has been pulled into the collection tube, if it gets stuck it then gets pulled back down the tube onto your material being cut? It almost sounds like two different issues. The first is initial pick up into your vac system and the second is it coming back out.

The suction next to my needle isn't that large and works well, but I've been cutting Laserdiscs which produce a cotton candy type swarf which isn't very thick or heavy.

mischmerz

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:01 am

rsimms3 wrote:Just so I understand the question, you're saying that if you have plastic swarf that has been pulled into the collection tube, if it gets stuck it then gets pulled back down the tube onto your material being cut?
Well .. first the swarf get sucked into the system .. but sometimes during the cut it may stick to the record, a loop forms that is being transported below the suction tube and now the thread is being pulled from the stylus AND from the suction tube. It usually doesn't break so there's plenty of swarf in need to be brushed in order to save the cut.

The question is: In order to improve my suction - I was wondering if anybody else has a suction system on a Rek-O-Kut style bridge and is willing to share a few pictures that might help me to consider alternative approaches.

mm.

rsimms3

Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:48 am

I used 1/4" pilot burner tubing (aluminum) which is easy to shape and fit under my head behind the cutting needle.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E297FI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Pictures below. What is your current set up look like? Are there any tapped screw holes you can use to mount your suction tube to the carriage? One you can unscrew some and use to mount it? Luckily I have holes tapped that were holding markers for the time gauge that I used to secure my tube. Todd's plastic cutting guide gives good suggestions as well. Not sure if he mentions it in the video, but I always have a can of compressed air around to blow out any swarf that sticks to the groove to restart suction and get the fallen swarf to the middle of the record. I've considered using an anti-static brush mounted on the plinth dragging the cutting surface like old lathes used prior to use of suction.

mischmerz

Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:27 pm

Yes - your version is definitely better and more advanced than mine. I experimented with different mounts, but wasn't able to get it under the head. This is my current design. So - I guess I have to find a better way to attach the pipe. Thanks for sharing.

m.

cuttersuc.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mischmerz

Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:29 pm

rsimms3 wrote:I used 1/4" pilot burner tubing (aluminum) which is easy to shape and fit under my head behind the cutting needle.
Yes. I use that too. What kid of hose do you use? Can't find it anywhere?

m.

rsimms3

Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:45 pm

Yeah, that looks tough.

I use rubber tubing from my local hardware store. Lowes carries it but from my store (Ace Hardware) you can buy it by the foot.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_443104-104-SLGE10_1z10xw4__?productId=4566542&pl=1

I have the hose connected as you see in the picture and then run through my lamp arm for support.

mischmerz

Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:07 pm

rsimms3 wrote:Yeah, that looks tough.
Thanks very much for your help. Turns out that I just don't have enough room to fit my suction tube reliably under the head when working with a short shank. Got myself a diamond short shank and it works well - but there's not enough room for a suction tube. Already contacted Steven for a new diamond with long(er) shank.

Michaela